This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Where do I start.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Where do I start.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:29 am

Yesteday I spent about 3 hours mowing with the my 48. I had to idle back the tractor to kill a copperhead. WHen I got back on her and throttled her up again, she began running rough. I took her back to the shade tree and killed her. I noticed that some fluid that looked like hydraulic fluid was sizzling under the touch control unit where it bolts onto the bell housing. I felt in that area and it was frying pan hot, but the other side of the tractor in the same area was no where near as hot. I started her again and tried to work her and she was still running rough so I shut her down for about 2 hours. Later I made sure the radiator wasnt full of ebdris and added water until it ran out (I know they regulate temselves). But she still ran rough.

What could have caused this or is causing this. And where do I start to look to find out what is wrong.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Where do I start.

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:00 am

Probably ignition related, fouled spark plug, etc.. Suggest complete engine tune up.

But first, check the fuel flow, through the carburetor and clean the main carburetor jet.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:33 am

if you pull the choke out does it the motoe smooth out???
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 am

Did the copperhead bite her?

Todd

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:49 am

I'm guessing coil for the rough running. I had the same problem for a while - If I idled her down for a while (potty break) after an hour or more, she would run rough when I tried to resume mowing. Turned out to be a failing coil.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Mike in Louisiana wrote:if you pull the choke out does it the motoe smooth out???

Yes it does, but only if I choke it a little. Like abut a 1/8 choke. But it dosent help the power, when I try to move it, she lugs a little.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 pm

leerenovations wrote:
Mike in Louisiana wrote:if you pull the choke out does it the motoe smooth out???

Yes it does, but only if I choke it a little. Like abut a 1/8 choke. But it dosent help the power, when I try to move it, she lugs a little.

Sounds like you might need to clean the metering jet as Eugene suggested. Remove it and run a soft copper wire through it and blow it out with some carb cleaner. You may be getting crud into your carb.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby leerenovations » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:17 pm

OK, I cleaned the metering jet. SHe starts right up without choking. But when she gets hot, she began to run rough almost if she was missing. Could this be the coil? My Cub has the origial magneto start with the 6 volt battery so which coil do I buy?

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:33 am

leerenovations wrote:when she gets hot, she began to run rough almost if she was missing. Could this be the coil

Yes, that is a symptom of a failing coil.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:31 pm

But why would it be sizzling hot all the way back at the TC unit with a problem in the engine? Could there be something messed up in the TC unit that is causing it to run through the pressure relief valve all the time? This would really suck the power out of the tractor and would also make the TC unit get hot. Did you try cycling through the TC? I'm just keying on the reasons for it to be hot all the way back at the TC with all of that cast iron between the engine and that section.

When the TC area was sizzling, was the radiator boiling?
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 pm

No, the radiator was fine, not hot at all. I just rebuilt the TC pump and was using it to raisde and lower the sickle mower with no problem at all. Could it be that the oil pump is getting a little weak? ANd maybe not pumping oil enough, or does engine oil even run back that far?

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:47 am

No. The oil is confined to the engine block. I know that Merlin has a bit of an adjustment needed on the TC and if I run the lever all the way into one extreme or the other, the TC continues to try to raise or lower and the engine pumps the fluid through the pressure relief valve. It will bog the tractor down to the extreme and make it seem really low on power. If I move the lever slightly back towards the middle, the bogging stops and everyone is happy. I know that I need to make the adjustment that they talk about in the TC manual, but just haven't gotten a "Round Tuit" yet, so I am just working around it.

Try moving your TC lever to the middle of the quadrant and see if the tractor runs better. The only way that it can get sizzling hot under the TC is if there is something going on with the TC. No engine oil there.

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 pm

If anything a weak hydraulic pump would prevent the oil from getting sizzling hot like that, because it can't develop enough pressure.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:09 pm

Hengy wrote: Could there be something messed up in the TC unit that is causing it to run through the pressure relief valve all the time? This would really suck the power out of the tractor and would also make the TC unit get hot.

Good observation Mike, that would do it. I wanted to add that there should be an audible hydraulic noise if that's what's happening. Does it have an under slung exhaust? ...that's maybe a little to close to a hydraulic line - maybe?
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby leerenovations » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:12 pm

No underslung exhaust, I like it up where I can breathe the exhaust and make the day go faster. Well, I just rebult the TC pump, could I have put something in wrong? ANd even though I just rebuilt the pump, it worked great for about an hour then acted like it was running low on fluid again. ANd it raiees the hydraulics just fine, but it bogs the tractor when trying to lower the hydraulics. All the way up or all the way down, the front rockshaft does that rocking like its low on fluid. Could that really bog the whole tractor down?

Return to “Farmall Cub”