This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wheel weights vs filled tires.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mac McVey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17374
eBay ID: YEVCM
Circle of Safety: Y

Wheel weights vs filled tires.

Postby Mac McVey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Can't get through my thick skull which produces less stress on a tractor axle? Filled tires or wheel weights bolted to the rim. I have window washing fluid in eack rear tire and also wheelweights bolted to each rim of my Cub. Which produces less wear/stress on the axles or does it matter. Just curious, maybe someone with more mechanical engineering knowlwdge can chime in.
Thanks
Mac
'50 Super A, '58 Cub, 1 Original Cub Cadet, 1 Model 70 Cub Cadet, 2 Model 100 Cub Cadets, 1 Model 105 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 2185 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 1864, and 2 small green ones.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Re: Wheel weights vs filled tires.

Postby DieselDennis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Well I have an M.E. degree, not that it's wort much.

Probably isn't two cents worth of difference. If I had to say, I'd give the wheel weights a slight advantage to tractor axle stress. It's located a more central to the axle and the weight is continuous all the way around.

Chances are if you use fluid, you only fill the tires 60%-70%, and the fluid kinds of "floats" inside the tire.

Again, probably isn't two cents worth of difference.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Mac McVey wrote:Can't get through my thick skull which produces less stress on a tractor axle? Filled tires or wheel weights bolted to the rim. ................
Don't know which one produces less stress on the axle but I can say with certainty which one produces less stress on me when I have to fix a flat tire :D

UK-Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: LA9

Postby UK-Cub » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:15 am

Only had my Cub, a first tractor, a week or two but hope my answer sounds sensible.

Wheels weights will impose loads on the transmission under acceleration and braking (Newton) greater than if not fitted, the inertia of the wheels and tractor having been increased.

Similarly partially filled tyres will impose loads, but when the load is taken off I think that the sloshing around, the tyres not being full, will cause torsional vibrations in the drive with a detrimental effect on the transmission splines/gears.
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:30 am

I wouldn't worry about using either. The cub was built, or overbuilt, for weight added, and has lasted 60 years. I doubt that you'll break it, now.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 am

Mac McVey wrote:Which produces less wear/stress on the axles or does it matter.
There is more shock and stress placed on the tractor's drive train by implements and their use than wheel weights.
ScottyD'sdad wrote:I wouldn't worry about using either. The cub was built, or overbuilt, for weight added, and has lasted 60 years. I doubt that you'll break it, now.
I have an excuse. CRS.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:14 am

Wheel weights. Liquid filled can be a real pain. To say nothing of what sometimes happens to rims when the liquid leaks. Vern

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:03 pm

I would prefer IRON myself---tire repair is then much simpler thanks; sonny

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Given that the weight of either is acting only on the tire, and the axle is not supporting either, I don't see that either would put any stress on the axle itself.

It is true that the weight adds some inertia to overcome when starting from a stop, but unless you are popping the clutch, the rate at which you are trying to overcome that inertia is very slow, and the incremental addition probably doesn't have much effect.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Pickerincal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93455
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1967 Cub Cadet
1972 Loadstar 1600

Postby Pickerincal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 am

I have both on my 47 cub.. it came that way. Any problem having both? I'm now thinking of leaving the fluid out after the rebuild after thinking of the flat tire scenario.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 am

Pickerincal wrote:I have both on my 47 cub.. it came that way. Any problem having both? I'm now thinking of leaving the fluid out after the rebuild after thinking of the flat tire scenario.
You can leave the steel and fluid weight in/on. Won't hurt anything.

You may not need both types of weights or any weight. Depends on how you use your tractor.

Fluid removal. You can do the task yourself and rinse the inside of the tubes. Heavy messy job, but will give you a chance to inspect and repair or paint the inside of the rim. You may have to purchase new tubes since the valves tend to be highly corroded.

Other alternative is a shop that handles or specializes in repairing farm tires in the field. They will have the equipment to remove the fluid without dismounting the tire from the rim. Check prices, sometimes fairly expensive.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Given that the horizontal pull, in pounds, that can be achieved is always less than the vertical weight, in pounds, pressing the tires to the surface below, having both can mean that the tractor will pull heavier loads uphill than can a tractor not so ballasted. Fluid in tires can be a problem but can also be a benefit.

Is that also true of marriage? With marriage and tractor ballast, my experience is that the benefits outweigh the problems.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Bus Driver wrote:.......having both can mean that the tractor will pull heavier loads uphill .............................

than the brakes MAY be able to hold should you have to stop. (Just something to consider)

Mac McVey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17374
eBay ID: YEVCM

Postby Mac McVey » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks to all for chiming in. Your comments have been most helpful in helping me to understand a lot better. I'm going to leave things as they are especially the liquid. "Baby" as the '58 Cub is called isn't going to get any flat tires (ha ha) but the hardship in fixing flats is noted.
I've been a member since 2003 and Lurk quite a bit but rarely post because I learn more than I can provide. The information provided by all of you experienced Cub owners has proven invaluable over the years.
Thanks again
Mac
'50 Super A, '58 Cub, 1 Original Cub Cadet, 1 Model 70 Cub Cadet, 2 Model 100 Cub Cadets, 1 Model 105 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 2185 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 1864, and 2 small green ones.

Return to “Farmall Cub”