This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loose throttle lever & shaft

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 97504
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Loose throttle lever & shaft

Postby xbartx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:23 pm

carb.jpg
carb.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 567 times

I have a lot of play ( maybe 1/8" of movement ) on the lever and the shaft. I guessing it isn't suppose to be like that.
I pulled the shaft out and don't see an easy fix. I'm guessing the brass shaft has worn.
Any ideas?

xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Loose throttle lever & shaft

Postby xbartx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 pm

I would like to try and fix mine first, but if a can't I found this http://www.glemcotractorparts.com/TRACTOR-PART-NO-351845R11-THROTTLE-SHAFT-351845R11.htm looks a little different, seems to have the same parts number, does it look like it would work?

-Brad

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:15 pm

There is a felt seal that the shaft goes through when you first insert it. I would suspect that it needs to be replaced. If you have already removed the butterfly and have the shaft out, you can gently pry out the seal retainer. If the felt is hard or torn, that would be the first thing to do.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby xbartx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:There is a felt seal that the shaft goes through when you first insert it. I would suspect that it needs to be replaced. If you have already removed the butterfly and have the shaft out, you can gently pry out the seal retainer. If the felt is hard or torn, that would be the first thing to do.

Bob

There isn't any play between the carb. body and shaft, it is between the lever and the shaft.
So I don't think that is it, I can hold the shaft and butterfly in place and the lever will have about 1/8" play in it.
I'm seeing that this part comes in a rebuild kit, I probably should just get the kit for $20.
-Brad

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:28 pm

You can get just the shaft from McDonald Carbs if you don't need other gaskets/parts. You could also try peening down the brass rectangle where it comes through the lever and possibly fix it that way.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:59 am

Whatever you do, fix it. Mine did the same thing, but in a parade, and I had "unintended acceleration" issues. I couldn't get the speed down, so the tractor was running full speed in the parade, which was actually too fast in second, not fast enough in third. Even though the speeds are slow, when I turned to exit the parade, the crowd had pressed in close, and I was concerned about control of the tractor. Once off the route, I shut it down and got a tow. The problem was exactly that shaft. I had several, and still do. I would send you one if you can wait, just pm me your address.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:25 am

As Bob mentioned, you can get the shaft from McDonald. Whatever you do, stay away from the Tisco kit, the throttle shaft in those kits is not correct!

xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby xbartx » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:38 am

Gary Dotson wrote:As Bob mentioned, you can get the shaft from McDonald. Whatever you do, stay away from the Tisco kit, the throttle shaft in those kits is not correct!

Thanks for the heads up about the Tisco kit.
So being new to all this I guess I need to ask, is this common about parts being sold as replacements not being correct? Should I ask about each part that I might want order?
On a side note, are there any tricks to doing a search. I tried searching this forum and would ethier come up with a lot issues not related to mine or nothing and then after I post a question, someone would refer to a post on this forum, I'm doing something wrong!
-Brad

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 am

Brad, I think that you'll find most aftermarket parts are okay. Seals, gaskets, bearings, etc. will all cross over from the original IH part #'s (and are available for the most part here). The only other part that should be OEM (that pops up now) is the graphite throw out bearing. Occasionally, someone will buy a repro shaft that is not the right length. If you order from a Case/IH dealer or one of the Forum sponsors at the bottom of the page, you will usually end up with what you want. Unfortunately, the search feature is like that. The more words you search for will sometimes narrow down the first posts to those being the most relevant. As you might expect, a lot of questions get asked repeatedly. The link to a prior post from someone saves the time of retyping the entire answer.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby xbartx » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:33 am

Bob McCarty wrote:Unfortunately, the search feature is like that. The more words you search for will sometimes narrow down the first posts to those being the most relevant. As you might expect, a lot of questions get asked repeatedly. The link to a prior post from someone saves the time of retyping the entire answer.

Bob

I don't mind having a member posting a link to previous thread. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I could do, for a better search.
If I keep asking questions at this rate, I'll be in the 501 club by the 4th of July!
-Brad

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 am

xbartx wrote:... If I keep asking questions at this rate, I'll be in the 501 club by the 4th of July!
-Brad

Brad,

No problem! Keep asking questions, that is how we all learn. Soon you will be answering other's questions. Questions and answers are all contributions to the forum.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:02 pm

If I remember correctly, the search terms should to be at least 4 letters.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

crazyjoe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02835
eBay ID: crazyjoe1078
Tractors Owned: 56 cub with fast hitch
one point plow
one point harrow

Postby crazyjoe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:12 pm

if i remember corectly mine did the same thing last fall there is a tiny rool pin on the back side that probaly fell out . And its hard to see at first.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:18 pm

crazyjoe wrote:if i remember corectly mine did the same thing last fall there is a tiny rool pin on the back side that probaly fell out . And its hard to see at first.

That's a new one to me, I'd have to see a picture of it to be convinced. Wonder if it was a repro or ?

Bob
-Albert Einstein

xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby xbartx » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:19 pm

Knowing I could get a replacement, I went ahead and tried to salvage this one.
As I suspected, the soft brass rectangular key had worn down and was very not fitting the lever well.

I just ground off the head, made a jig in a 2x4 to hold the shaft with the drill press.
Tapped a small thread and with the use of a very small screw and lock washer seems like all of the play is now out of the shaft.
Just need to add a drop of lock tight.

_DSC9012.jpg
_DSC9012.jpg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 380 times

_DSC9014.jpg
_DSC9014.jpg (87.87 KiB) Viewed 380 times

_DSC9018.jpg
_DSC9018.jpg (136.69 KiB) Viewed 380 times