This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'47 Cub Wiring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

'47 Cub Wiring

Postby Stanton » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 am

Did a little re-wiring of my Cub. Had an external coil which went bad, so swapped mag off another Cub to run it. This mag has an internal coil.

The switch is a two-connection type. Before, when I pulled the switch out, I could crank over the engine. Now, it's opposite. When the switch is pushed in the engine is able to be cranked over. The only thing different was I found one connection of the switch connected to the negative side of the ammeter. I moved that to a ground connection. Should it go back to the ammeter?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Re: '47 Cub Wiring

Postby Hengy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:51 am

The one connection switch isolates the mag from the rest of the electrical system. Right now, you are feeding 6v (or 12 if it is converted) into the mag coil. You need to swap out that switch for a 1 connection switch. The 1-connection switch merely grounds the mag to the body of the tractor. The 2-connection switch sends 6-v to the coil on the distributor.

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:08 am

Been in the same place you are. With one side of the switch to ground and other side to magneto it will NOW be push in to run, pull out to stop. With an external coil whether it be on a magneto or a distributor, you applied power by pulling the switch out which connected the power to the coil. A magneto wants nothing connected to run, and grounds to kill it, so now you have to pull the switch out to stop and in to run. If you replace the switch with one for a magneto which only has a single terminal all will go back to normal. Here is a current one from TM.

I do sugges soldering the ground strap on these before installing, otherwise with a little time, vibration and corrosion you may have trouble turning the tractor off. Don't ask how i know. :|

Or you could change switches between tractors. Or buy another original magneto switch for one of the members here, on Ebay, or from JP Tractor. IH used the same magneto switch on cub, A, B, C, H, and M.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:15 am

Thanks, guys. You explained it well.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:07 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Been in the same place you are. With one side of the switch to ground and other side to magneto it will NOW be push in to run, pull out to stop. With an external coil whether it be on a magneto or a distributor, you applied power by pulling the switch out which connected the power to the coil. A magneto wants nothing connected to run, and grounds to kill it, so now you have to pull the switch out to stop and in to run. If you replace the switch with one for a magneto which only has a single terminal all will go back to normal. Here is a current one from TM.

I do sugges soldering the ground strap on these before installing, otherwise with a little time, vibration and corrosion you may have trouble turning the tractor off. Don't ask how i know. :|

Or you could change switches between tractors. Or buy another original magneto switch for one of the members here, on Ebay, or from JP Tractor. IH used the same magneto switch on cub, A, B, C, H, and M.

I will report that I used the "cheap" magneto grounding switch on Merlin, and it didn't hold up well. One day, when trying to shut the tractor off, the knob (and the shaft) came off into my hand. I'm using an older original knob now!

Mike
Image Image

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 pm

TM sells both the cheap imported one and the higher priced one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:51 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:TM sells both the cheap imported one and the higher priced one.

Yup... and of course, I have found that there is nothing more expensive than the "cheap fix" on most things!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image