This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Correct front rim size?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
grinnergetter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Correct front rim size?

Postby grinnergetter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Earlier i posted pics of the front end and the caster issue. I found that it had been welded at the end of the right axle.
Also noticed that the fronts have studs. I notice alot of front wheel BOLTS for sale and no studs.
So what size is were the original wheels. Gosh i hope that if it should not have studs that the threads are okay.
If you aren't fired up with enthusiasm...you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vincent Lombardi

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:13 am

the original rims were 3 X 12" rims. You might consider getting a pair of steering knuckles from either J.P. Tractor salvage or T.M. Tractor. Or at least replace the one that has been welded.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:32 am

I made the original comment that caused you to wonder. The original Cub rims were 2 1/2" x 12. That means 2 1/2" between the bead surfaces.

I don't know the reason, but obviously someone has changed the hubs as well as the rims... so the bolt pattern *may* be different from original.

This is offered as an opinion as to what may have happened, not a suggestion that that it's necessary to change back to original unless you want to.

Just so you know... there were many two wheeled garden tractors with 5.00 x 12 tires on 1" wider (3 1/2 x 12) rims that fit the original Cub hubs. I have 2 or 3 sets here. Some garden tractors even had rims identical to the Cub's.

The tires on Scruffy are 7.5 x 12 traction tires on 5" wide rims. They add a nice touch, I think. :D They may be from a GT rear. They were hard to pass up in a flea market. $8

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

grinnergetter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby grinnergetter » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:10 pm

I like the looks of "scruffy"!!
The more I get into this tractor the more it seems that someone took a rough peice of equipment and got it as close to working order as CHEAPLY as possible. Seems they used what they had laying around the barn to fix things.
Why on earth would you get rid of the original fronts and hubs in favor of car rims? Must have been caught between rocks at some point or another. :wink:
Thanks for the info guys.
If you aren't fired up with enthusiasm...you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vincent Lombardi

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:22 pm

What self-respecting car would run on 12" wheels?

My '67 has RADIALS on the front.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:56 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:What self-respecting car would run on 12" wheels?
I used to have a Renault that sis, of course self respecting and Renault were contradictory terms.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:09 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:What self-respecting car would run on 12" wheels?

My '67 has RADIALS on the front.

My little "Geo-Convertible" had 12" wheels and I gave it a Boost of respect by swapping them with 13" Mags. [And it was a FREE swap]
Then came Bronson

Tailhntr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tailhntr » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:14 pm

George,

Where did you get the rims for your cub....that front setup looks like it would work good for mowing the yard....thanks.
Red is BEAUTIFUL!

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:08 pm

Back in the 1970's I bought a non-running 1949 Cub that had been sitting out in a field for years. One of the many problems I encountered was that both front rims were rusted through. I went to a wrecking yard and bought two 12" Toyota or Datsun wheels (I don't remember which). The Cub centers were riveted to the rims so I cut off the rivets to remove the centers. The car wheels were welded together so I cut out the centers and ground the welds smooth on the rims. The Cub centers were a perfect fit inside of the car rims. It was then just a matter of getting everything aligned and welding through the Cub center rivet holes to the car rims. They worked out great.

Alan

Return to “Farmall Cub”