This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch control head gasket

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EarlyCub49
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18036
Tractors Owned: Presently
1949 Cub
1953 Cub
Kubota Zero turn
Circle of Safety: Y

Touch control head gasket

Postby EarlyCub49 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:00 am

Head gasket on the touch control blew again, lasted 3 years this time.
Each time with the Fast hitch disc, I just don't get it.
The head is not warped as suggested before.
any help would be appreciated.
SDC10980.JPG
SDC10980.JPG (489.05 KiB) Viewed 302 times

Bruce T.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Touch control head gasket

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:46 am

Check the block for warpage (unlikely).
Make sure the orifice and screen are completely clean (immediately right of your screwdriver tip).
Make sure the pressure relief valve isn't sticking (far right of your screwdriver tip).
Use a fresh gasket.
Carefully tighten the bolts using a center out pattern and a couple steps, as would be done with engine head bolts.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:23 pm

from your picture I cant tell if your rockshaft has the lever for the fasthitch spring assist. The spring is actually to aid in the lowering of heavy fast hitch attachments such as the disc harrow or role over plow, without the spring when you lower the heavy attachment and dont do so in a complete motion the load will actually jeark on the hydraulics. The weakest point is the head gasket. eventually it will blow. also when replacing the gasket it is a must to get all the old gasket of both mating surfaces. even if there is any color of the old gasket on the surfaces it must be removed. and as Jim stated make sure the screen and orifice is clean.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

EarlyCub49
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18036
Tractors Owned: Presently
1949 Cub
1953 Cub
Kubota Zero turn

Postby EarlyCub49 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Today I did install the fast hitch spring assist with the correct rockshaft I didn't have it with the with the last 2 gaskets that blew, I checked the head and block and they both appears to be flat using a straight edge I did check and cleaned the both screens the relief doesn't seem like it is sticking either. I cleaned all of the gasket material both times really good no sign of any gasket material anywhere. Installed new gaskets from local IH dealer both times. I have been having problems at times lifting the disc I even put another pump on today and noticed that the replaced (used) pump has larger holes for more flow later model pump I guess. I did tighten the bolts from the middle and torqued to specs. I will check my hydraulic pressure when I have time this week hopefully this pump has a bit more pressure than the older one had last one only had about 800 psi.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'm pretty sure the spring assist will help with the disc.

Bruce T.

Return to “Farmall Cub”