This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Voltage reg won't shut off

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Idaho Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 83801

Voltage reg won't shut off

Postby Idaho Cub » Mon May 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi all, I'm the north Idaho Nicky new guy to your site. I have a 1948 Cub restoration that is very near completion. Everything is new or rebuilt to concour or as close as I can depict through hours of research. The trouble I am having is when the tractor is shut off the voltage reg will not release showing a ten amp discharge until I unhook the battery and apon reconnect it snaps back closed. I checked all adjustments at the reg and all is in tolerance and charges 6.9 to7.2 from half throttle and up. The wiring and switches are all new with cloth braided concour wiring harness, mag ignition. Wiring connected as per service information, it does not have a cut out relay. I have polarized the gen.
Second problem is starter is all rebuilt (done by me) new brushes bushings drive starter switch battery and cable. Communtator is turned and armature has no hot spots or drag marks but will not turn the engine when hooked to six volt pos grd. I have to hook it to 12 pos grd to get it started and immediately pull the cable and put on to six volt battery. I have had it apart 3 times and really don't want to have to buy another at over $200 the engine is broke in with having 2 hours on it, turns freely by hand.
If any of ya got any experiences or tips I would really appreciate it, Thanks Carl

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Voltage reg won't shut off

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Regulator, first thing is to make sure you have the terminals connect correctly. Since it releases when you disconnect battery, and pulls in again when you connect, I 2would suspect you have reversed the bat. and gen connections. The terminals of the regulator or stamped right next to the body of the regulator.

sounds like you need to take the starter to an automotive shop, possibly an open field winding.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon May 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Since you're finishing up a "redo", a couple things to check with the starter;
Are the battery cables big enough diameter (not the 12V ones hanging next to every battery rack in America?)
Are all the connections (both ends of both battery cables and the surfaces they mount to) clean and bright. Is your ground cable to the battery box side or a mounting bolt? Make sure there's no paint around whichever it is. If it is to the box make sure the battery box mounting bolts don't have any paint either.
Is the starter mounting clean and bright (it has to ground through the case to the engine block).
Are you sure the 6V battey is fully charged?
There's not much other than the battery, two cables, the starter, and a switch to get it all going. Check this old thread about the switch.http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82212&hilit=starter+switch

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :{_}: Two things not to be afraid of here; asking questions and posting pictures of your tractor. :D

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby randallc » Tue May 27, 2014 5:36 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. You can see this is a friendly place to hang out for a while.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

robertst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74604

Postby robertst » Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 am

Another thought the points on the field side of regulator or cutout might be sticking and not releasing,would have to take cover off to check,Should have if stock a Hi low switch on light switch,Don't know if that is the problem but worth checking not easy,good luck

Idaho Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 83801

Postby Idaho Cub » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:15 am

Thank you all for your quik response and help and sorry for my slow response, found out through your tips I have a 6v neg grd regulator causing this problem so that was easy and my starter armature has problems, I'll try to post a pic as soon as it is done

Thanks, Carl

Return to “Farmall Cub”