This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

left rear wheel noise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
28plymouthman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44666
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949

International 504

left rear wheel noise

Postby 28plymouthman » Fri May 23, 2014 7:49 pm

I have noticed a crunching sound coming from my left rear wheel area. Is it a real problem pulling the wheel and brake axle area apart to find this problem. What do you think a crunching noise could be.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: left rear wheel noise

Postby Barnyard » Fri May 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Check all your lug nuts and bolts. to make sure they are not loose. This is a common problem with many of them. Unless the noise is absolutely inside the final, I would check the bolts and nuts first.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Yup, as Barnyard said, first check the bolts holding the disk to the hub, then the bolts holding the rim to the disk. After that, check the bolts holding the final drive to the transmission.

If those are good, disconnect brake on side needing repair, jack up and block the tractor, then wedge the front axle to reduce danger of tipping. Remove wheel and disk, then unbolt the final, as I recall bolts on top, and 2 on bottom. the final is fairly heavy and has to come straight out due to shaft extending through oil seal into the transmission.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

28plymouthman
5+ Years
5+ Years

International 504

Postby 28plymouthman » Sat May 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. Will get to it after this holiday is over. Out of town right now for a graduation. Makes sense about the noise. When you are up on the tractor you can;t see the wheel or bolts if they are loose causing the noise. Will let you know.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 pm

I just noticed you are about three and a half hours northeast of Cincinnati. If you have room on your calendar you may want to take a trip to the Barnyard Bash Cubfest in Harrison Ohio on May 30 and 31. This will be our seventh year hosting this event where you can learn a lot about Cubs, meet many of the active members of this web site and just have some great fun. Best of all, it's free! Several of the guys bring their families along and spend both days with us. Check out the Bash at http://www.barnyardbash.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Sat May 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Barnyard wrote: Check out the Bash at http://www.barnyardbash.com

That looks like a really good time, I wish I was closer. I'm way up here in northern Maine and the last time I drove down to your area it took me two long days of driving. Can't fly my Cub after seeing what they charge for a single piece of luggage on my last trip so I'll have to live vicariously through others. That's a great thing you do for the folks!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Posco wrote:
Barnyard wrote: Check out the Bash at http://www.barnyardbash.com

That looks like a really good time, I wish I was closer. I'm way up here in northern Maine and the last time I drove down to your area it took me two long days of driving. Can't fly my Cub after seeing what they charge for a single piece of luggage on my last trip so I'll have to live vicariously through others. That's a great thing you do for the folks!

Hey Posco, Bob McCarty is driving 1,200 miles from Colorado to be here, you are only 50 miles farther. You don't need to bring your Cub, just show up and have fun. :D

Circle of Safety

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 26, 2014 3:34 pm

Barnyard wrote:You don't need to bring your Cub, just show up and have fun. :D

One of these days! I'm making great gains on my Cub through the help you guys have given me. Adjusted the valves, cleaned up and ironed out the problem with the governor and the linkage, static timed it, re-wired it, new battery, alt, plugs, points & condenser, flushed transmission and crankcase with K1, added new fluids and the engine purrs beautifully.

Now it sounds like I have a bolt rattling around in my left drive. What should I be prepared for gasket/seal/parts-wise when I pull that drive off?

Couple other things. My ammeter was showing charge/discharge before I changed the oil and now it doesn't seem to move. There's a pressure switch on top of the oil filter a fellow added somewhere along the way which is used to excite the alternator. My oil pressure gauge comes up to show good pressure but the ammeter shows no deflection.

Also, I'm having trouble using the hand crank to fire the engine. It starts right up using the battery but I can't get a thing out of it when trying to use the hand crank. I used to be able to fire it that way with little effort. Something I did when I was farting around with the magneto most likely.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 pm

I would first check whether all the final drive mounting bolts are tight. Then check for tightness of the wheel, rim and wheel weight bolts. If all of these check out OK, then I would look inside the final drive.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 26, 2014 6:57 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I would first check whether all the final drive mounting bolts are tight. Then check for tightness of the wheel, rim and wheel weight bolts. If all of these check out OK, then I would look inside the final drive.

I'll try that, Don but I'm not optimistic it's going to be that easy a fix. I gave them a cursory look but didn't try tightening everything. I will.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Wed May 28, 2014 9:24 am

I cinched up everything as tight as I could and I still have the rattle. I would probably describe it as a nut or bolt rolling around in the rim if there weren't a tube in the tire, that's what it sounds like. Where do I go from here? Left rear.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Thu May 29, 2014 5:09 am

Sounds like you are going to have to pull it and look inside. Crunching sound? Bad bearing. Left final is not to bad, follow John's advice.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

28plymouthman
5+ Years
5+ Years

International 504

Postby 28plymouthman » Fri May 30, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for all the replies. Finally got to check it out and all 4 bolts holding outer rim to center were wobbling in the holes. Had to torch them off since you can not get a socket on the back side to hold the bolt while you turn the nut off on the front. Replaced them all and now no noise. Do the original bolts have a square head that grabs the back of the bracket it fits in to hold it while you are tightening the front nut?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri May 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Original bolts are square headed. I bought replacements through McMaster Carr online.

However, carriage bolts also work. I actually had to use a carriage bolt on one of mine because the "dog" inside the loop was broken.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sat May 31, 2014 11:10 pm

I got up the courage to dig into my final drive today and I'm already running into trouble. They didn't leave an abundance of room to get a wrench on the bolts, especially the two on the bottom. I don't want to strip the head or snap it off but my Craftsman wrench can't get a secure bite on it and my socket drive is too fat. How do you guys go about removing these bolts?

This bearing seems to rotate freely without any grinding noise when I rotate it by hand. Anything obvious that would jump out at you if it were the culprit? Any links walking me through a final drive? Thanks.
Attachments
DSC01590.JPG
DSC01590.JPG (301.95 KiB) Viewed 588 times
DSC01587.JPG
DSC01587.JPG (335.41 KiB) Viewed 588 times

Return to “Farmall Cub”