This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 22 mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub 22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat May 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi,
This is sort of an odd thing that happened in the past. My friend had a 1955 Cub with a Cub 22 mower. We always kept it greased, we greased the long mower shaft liberally, at both grease fittings. The grease would always work out the rear when he was mowing, and get on the pulley. After several years of use the front bushing started getting noisy, lots of banging sounds when mowing. We took it apart, and the front bushing was dry, no grease evidently. It ruined the bushing and the shaft. We had to replace both. The grease we put in the grease fittings went to the rear, but not to the front bushing, which is just an inch or 2 from the front grease fitting.
My friend though it might be the direction the mower shaft turns made the grease go one way, to the rear. I don't know if other people have that happen or not. Anyway, be sure both your bushings are getting grease. :)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Cub 22 mower

Postby Scrivet » Sat May 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Grease under pressure will take "the path of least resistance" just like electricity. If all the grease always worked out the back and none out the front, I would venture that the rear bearing was looser so the grease could get by it easier and have more grease on it to last longer. The front bearing being tighter had less or no grease so it might have formed a "dried up grease dam" to keep fresh grease from getting past. Since the back was loose not much pressure was applied to the grease dam to force grease past it.

I don't think grease would work one way or the other due to the shaft spinning unless it is a screw or auger type shaft.

Good tip though to watch for and make sure grease is coming out both ends when greasing.