This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

proud of my cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

proud of my cub

Postby Eoghan » Fri May 09, 2014 8:14 am

This cub has been in constant service this spring, and has performed admirably.

I got the clutch replaced in time to plow the worst of the snow towards the end of winter, then we hauled lots of lumber/firewood/branches through the snow and mud, and now (after welding and replacing a broken 1st/rev shift fork) I just finished plowing, disking and throwing up beds on about 1/2 acre of garden space. Speaking of which, I am very pleased with the brand new disk hillers I bought on Ebay. I don't usually like shopping there, but these things are great.

so glad I bought the cub!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: proud of my cub

Postby ricky racer » Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 am

Nice straight, honest looking Cub. I'd be proud too. :wink:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Fri May 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi Eoghan,
You are getting great use / fun out of your cub, and all those homegrown veggies will taste fantastic :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Looks good. I like Cubs in their working clothes.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri May 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Looks great. A question regarding the hillers. How high can you hill with them? Spacing of rows I'm guessing at about 4'. And, how did you go about hilling? First plow, then harrows, then hillers? I don't have any hillers and now you've got me wondering. I like hilling my rows way on up there, and would like all the help I can get. As we currently garden, I rototill, then hand hoe up rows, rototilling at each lift of the hoeing. Hillers look intriguingly very cool to me.

Thanks, Dick B

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri May 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Proves the usefulness of a fasthitch! Makes going from plow to disk much easier. Putting the plow on has been the worst mounting that I have done thus far in my cub ownership!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Sat May 10, 2014 6:28 am

DickB wrote:A question regarding the hillers.

My hillers are 13 inches I believe and I set them as close as they would go on the main toolbars for single wide beds (for things like broccoli). I didn't have the ground pressure too high, but i'm not sure if that would have made the hills higher or not.. they actually ended up being exactly the same size as I usually do by hand. probably 10 inches tall before i raked it flat on top, then maybe 4 or 5 when ready to plant. i know you can get bigger ones too, 16 inches I think. To prep the soil I plow first, then disk, then usually a couple passes with the rototiller if i'm planting seed, then hillers. My rows are about 60 feet long and it was quite a chore to raise them up without the hillers! We occasionally get some flooding though, so it's worth the extra effort to keep the water between the rows. the spacing is as tight as i can get them. usually about 40 inches on center with the wheel spacing still set for plowing.

Hengy wrote:Proves the usefulness of a fasthitch! Makes going from plow to disk much easier. Putting the plow on has been the worst mounting that I have done thus far in my cub ownership!

I must be spoiled by the fast hitch because i've never even thought about it! I am a glutton for punishment however, so I also remove the fast hitch and put on a C-3 mower to do my grass every couple of weeks. :lol:

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sat May 10, 2014 1:54 pm

The hillers sound interesting. My gardening does without the Cub but, using your procedures, I rototill (and you do too), then the hillers, then the fine raking. Thanks. I'll put that on the back burner for this season, but will investigate.

Return to “Farmall Cub”