New to me: A rear carrier...and I like it.

Wed May 07, 2014 2:09 pm

rear carrier raised.JPG
rear carrier stone.JPG
The rear carrier, homemade, for the Farmall FH Cub.
rear carrier FH.JPG

So, carrier almost finished. Back and front and bottom done. Cost has been modest with no cost for steel pipe lengths on each side of Fast Hitch, but all other steel and lumber paid. No labor as welder is a friend, and I've never been able to get myself to pay much for my labor. The rock was impossible to scoot into a wheelbarrow but slid easily on to the carrier with a nudge or two from a shovel. The carrier raised up nicely to the house deck to allow me to slide an outboard motor on to it. Earlier, I'd slid about 100 lbs. of soil amendments from the tailgate of the pickup on to the raised carrier. Then poultry netting and feed and water on it for the chicken summer house...got to put on those sides--everything slid out as I cornered too tightly.

Cost was under $150 with a used FH from Tim in NY state.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: New to me: A rear carrier...and I like it.

Thu May 08, 2014 5:40 am

Them cubs with a few attachments come in handy. Great looking carrier.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:31 am

Looking to build my own soon. Thanks for the photos! Great job!
Intentions for mine at this point, are a pair of forks to slide under a plastic pallet (from work) with fold-up sides.
(use what you have, has always been my way of thinking)
Regards,

Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 am

Great job!! Anyone we know in the body bag?? :shock:

Thu May 08, 2014 2:28 pm

ricky racer wrote:Great job!! Anyone we know in the body bag?? :shock:

My son said the same thing and thought it was from the film "Fargo" in which case I should be looking around for a chipper-shredder <grief!>, right? In fact, however, that bag has in it a British Seagull outboard engine, from the 1970s. As nifty as a Farmall Cub.

Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Nice job. I never thought about using one to load or unload a pickup. I'll have to try that.

Bob

Fri May 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Bob -- Take a look. Mind you, it is a Toyota Tacoma basic pickup which isn't high up.
rear carrier at pickup.JPG

And... here is the box for tools or whatever -- the sides go in/out, and the rear comes out. Done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 09, 2014 4:58 pm

I like :-) !

Wed May 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Where did you get the hitch point/spike? My usual source went out of business in February and with shipping, the few others offering them are quite expensive.

Wed May 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Bus Driver wrote:Where did you get the hitch point/spike? My usual source went out of business in February and with shipping, the few others offering them are quite expensive.
….Ag Supply has them…..

Wed May 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Love the 3-sided box. Nicely Done

Thu May 15, 2014 5:31 am

Bus Driver wrote:Where did you get the hitch point/spike? My usual source went out of business in February and with shipping, the few others offering them are quite expensive.

Hi Bus Driver. My FH connector came from one of the fellows here who sells things on the Vine. Tim "tst" had it. It was from a derelict flail mower. We live in the same region and waited a month or so until our paths crossed and in that way he brought it to me. Boss Hog also had one, but being down in Virginia it wasn't convenient for me. I sought a FH connector with the vertical stabilizer -- not completely necessary, but it does engage when there's an off center load -- the FH itself also engages, so it is difficult to know how critical the vertical "fin" stabilizer is to the FH. BTW, Boss Hog was going to figure out how to get one in a USPS flat rate box.... There might be used tractor parts dealers in your area, and it might be a good thing to check them out.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Bus Driver: Another thing to look out for is that some of the after market FH points do not have a taper to them. Tim mentioned to me that some won't go into the sleeve on FH tractors, and that you have to spend several hours or more grinding and grinding.

Thu May 15, 2014 4:15 pm

The need to grind was my experience. Not much of an inconvenience. If it had been undersize, welding could have solved that problem. I fit mine so that it just barely is possible to insert or remove without a hammer. I fitted the insert to the hitch before welding it to anything else. Much easier that way.
Mine was just cut from 1" thick bar stock and had no vertical " stabilizer". I used a piece of Schedule 40 pipe which was not quite tight enough. Will add weld beads to the sides if that proves to be desirable.

Thu May 15, 2014 8:44 pm

I have found that if the point is properly sized, shaped and shimmed, the vertical piece is just window dressing. Unless its wide enough to almost contact the guides it sits between, it does nothing.