This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

which meter ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y

which meter ?

Postby coppersmythe » Mon May 05, 2014 5:40 am

good morning from the deep south , hope all is well . what "meter" , brand , model # would you recommend for the type of electrical tests you would normally do on a cub . 6v and 12v . would any at the local autoparts stores work , I'd prefer one easy to use , I am electrically challenged. It seems I've read this subject before but could not find it in a search . thanks, coppersmythe.......................................
Last edited by coppersmythe on Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: which meter ?

Postby Eugene » Mon May 05, 2014 6:53 am

The inexpensive meters are just as good the expensive ones for working on tractors.

I picked analog, readings indicated with a needle, from the local hardware store for $20-. Analog meters work well on the Cub's dirty electrical system.

Digital meters, readings indicated by numbers on a screen. Typically the digital meters do not work well on the Cub's electrical system. Harbor Freight has the meters for around $3- each. The Harbor Freight meter is very accurate.

Recommend picking up one of each type meter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon May 05, 2014 9:12 pm

I like my multimeter because it has a tone when measuring resistance/continuity. I use it to time distributors. Beep, no beep, ah there it is!
Trent McPeak

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon May 05, 2014 10:41 pm

thanks guys , simple is better in this context , I'm not building the next mars rover . coppersmythe.....................................................although , hummmmmmm......ps: I only hesitate , I was recently talking to one of the engineers at LSU that is building the prototype for the drone that fedex was considering to deliver its packages , awesome.................................................

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 pm

I concur with Eugene that an analog meter is more reliable for troubleshooting the cub (and other low-tech equipment).
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

dbboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39338
eBay ID: dbboss
Tractors Owned: '63 Massey Ferguson 35 diesel deluxe
'50 Farmall Cub

Postby dbboss » Tue May 06, 2014 12:13 am

Been using a Fluke Tqm for years. Very simple to use, compact and durable. Its digital, which I like. Been the only one I've used for probably 11 years. Doesn't have a lot of functions you'll never use. Only thing I wish it could do that it doesn't is be able to test diodes. Other than that, it is perfect for what I need.

dbboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39338
eBay ID: dbboss
Tractors Owned: '63 Massey Ferguson 35 diesel deluxe
'50 Farmall Cub

Postby dbboss » Tue May 06, 2014 12:16 am

Here it is. Not cheap, but you shouldn't ever need another one, and you definitely get what you pay for.
Attachments
41MNM4K0FAL._SL500_.jpg
41MNM4K0FAL._SL500_.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 428 times

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby coppersmythe » Tue May 06, 2014 5:04 pm

thanks for the info guys , coppersmythe..................................

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue May 06, 2014 5:15 pm

get an analog meter, you will be happy with it. get a fairly good one though
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 pm

I am a retired electronics technician, so I have good and chap digital and analog meters on hand. What I use depends on what I am doing. If only one, it would be an analog.. A digital is handy for verifying battery is charging, but most of the tiem can only be used at the battery. At the generator it gets to much electrical noise from the brushes.There you need an analog. I also keep a 6V/12V test light for quick go/no go tests. Works great for things like voltage at coil, and are points closing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Wed May 07, 2014 5:05 am

I'm an analog user. Just because that is how old it is (there were no digital meters back then..which shows how old I am, too). And, I think Trent points out a really good feature: the meter BEEPS when there's continuity. Over the years, from wiring a house, a barn, a boat, working on cars and the tractor...it seems that the beep is the big thing that I'm usually checking. Typically I use it the verify that a circuit is correctly wired before hooking it to the power source.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 07, 2014 9:13 am

DickB wrote:I'm an analog user. Just because that is how old it is (there were no digital meters back then..which shows how old I am, too). ........
You must really be old, :lol: My meter I go to when nothing else seems to work right is a digital I bought new approximately 40 years ago. It cost me a week and a half pay, but i was doing 2 way radio work, and it was the only thing I could find to read plate voltage on commercial 2 way transmitters. After all these years it still works just like it did new. Salesman threw one about 5 feet out in the middle of a tile floor, and said "If it doesn't work now, everybody's meal tonight is on me." He didn't have to pay.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed May 07, 2014 10:20 am

What brand is that John? A lot of the old good ones are Simpson.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Wed May 07, 2014 11:30 am

Oooooppps! John, it could have been that the digital meters were more expensive back then.... I bought it maybe 25 years ago. It was from Radio Shack, back when they were still a bit like a radio shack. BTW, John, old and expired K4BJY here, but never adept nor knowledgeable although I've never been able to forget code.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 07, 2014 1:05 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:What brand is that John? A lot of the old good ones are Simpson.
My good analog is a Simpson, but the good digital I spoke about is a Sencore.

DickB wrote:Oooooppps! John, it could have been that the digital meters were more expensive back then.... I bought it maybe 25 years ago. It was from Radio Shack, back when they were still a bit like a radio shack. BTW, John, old and expired K4BJY here, but never adept nor knowledgeable although I've never been able to forget code.
Yes, they were very expensive back then, especially if you wanted a good one which I needed. I never got a ham license, that was too much like work, so no fun in my spare time. My license was 2nd class commercial, police, sheriffs, fire, ambulance, construction companies etc. Even did IMTS mobile phones, long before cell phones were even thought of.

Return to “Farmall Cub”