Cub Throttle

Sat May 03, 2014 9:45 pm

Hello,

First time posting on here. I have recently inherited a 1961 Farmall Cub. It has not ran in about 3 yrs. I got it running after cleaning the carb. Now it will idle fine, and drive fine, but when I start mowing I get about 60 ft and the throttle snaps back, I push it up and it happens again, and again. I can find anybody with this type of issue. I'm leaning towards a governor/throttle linkage problem. Any help thanks.

Chris

Re: Cub Throttle

Sat May 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Does it just fly back at you? Could just be the worn throttle position teeth on the handle, and you go over a bump and it loosens up and snaps back to low throttle. My Super A does it all the time. Also, welcome to the site!

Sat May 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Are the little teeth along the throttle "plate" rounded off? That happens from 60+ years of use. If that is the case, there is a How To for repairing it. Go to Board Index above, then down to the How To's. Good luck and welcome.

Sun May 04, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks guys I thought something like that but then thought nope that's to easy.

Sun May 04, 2014 2:02 pm

you can also find used ones some tomes that are pretty good for about 20 dollars

Sun May 04, 2014 11:31 pm

That used to happen to me a lot. when the governor would kick in it would yank the lever out of the teeth (they were rounded). spent a few minutes with a saw file and haven't had a problem since!

Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 am

Check the "tooth" on the lever itself as well. Mine had a groove worn on it where it rested on the teeth (in addition to the teeth of the quadrant being rounded).