Rear Wheel Widening

Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 am

Hi, need some guidance here. Will be widening the rear tires on the '55 Farmall Cub so that the Wagner loader will fit. The procedure? First, I'm guessing from reading here, loosen ever so slightly the bolts to the hub, then rock tractor back and forth while in gear to make sure it is loose. Jack up tractor, and Second, take rear weight off. Third take tire (loaded and heavy) off at lugs. 4th, take off dish (now dished IN). 5th reverse dish, reassemble, tighten. Set tire back to the outward facing dish, attaching lugs, Then, the weight goes back on, but ?? reversed ?? with the dish pointed inward but the weight still on the outside? Do I have this correct?

Thanks for looking over my shoulder.

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Sat May 03, 2014 8:45 am

Pretty much, you can leave the weight on if you have a hoist to handle the dish with, it will clear the final drives once the dish is turned outward. I live in hill country and sometimes find unexpected low spots, and have 3 weights on each wheel of my cub. One inside and 2 outside. The Wagner manual I have a copy of recommends the rear wheels be at their widest spacing, but mine are in one setting, to make it easier to load on a trailer. With them at the widest setting I would need an extra set of ramps.

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Sat May 03, 2014 11:04 am

Don't forget to wedge the front axle.

Bob

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Sat May 03, 2014 7:03 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Pretty much, you can leave the weight on if you have a hoist to handle the dish with, it will clear the final drives once the dish is turned outward. I live in hill country and sometimes find unexpected low spots, and have 3 weights on each wheel of my cub. One inside and 2 outside. The Wagner manual I have a copy of recommends the rear wheels be at their widest spacing, but mine are in one setting, to make it easier to load on a trailer. With them at the widest setting I would need an extra set of ramps.


John, I was wanting to put the weight on the outside of the dish (now dishing outward). I wonder if that is possible? If the weight's tapered "front" becomes the "back" when it would mesh with the shape of the outward dish. Right? Or...

Somewhere, John, I'd read that the next to widest (as you have) was okay by the loader manufacturer.

Best, DickB

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Don't forget to wedge the front axle.

Bob


Bob, are you writing about jacking it up, or something else...something that I don't know about?

DickB

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Sat May 03, 2014 7:34 pm

DickB wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote:Don't forget to wedge the front axle.

Bob


Bob, are you writing about jacking it up, or something else...something that I don't know about?

DickB


Jacking it up. If you don't wedge the pivot so it doesn't move the tractor will fall over.

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Sat May 03, 2014 9:39 pm

DickB wrote:.........
John, I was wanting to put the weight on the outside of the dish (now dishing outward). I wonder if that is possible? If the weight's tapered "front" becomes the "back" when it would mesh with the shape of the outward dish. Right? Or...

Somewhere, John, I'd read that the next to widest (as you have) was okay by the loader manufacturer.

Best, DickB
Yes, that will work just fine, I was just mentioning it was not necessary to move it to the outside. As I said, I have 2 on the outside and 1 on the inside.

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Mon May 05, 2014 8:07 am

havoc1482 wrote:
DickB wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote:Don't forget to wedge the front axle.

Bob


Bob, are you writing about jacking it up, or something else...something that I don't know about?

DickB


Jacking it up. If you don't wedge the pivot so it doesn't move the tractor will fall over.



Thanks for finding and linking that video, Mike. I had no thought about removing both wheels at once. Rather, one after the other was the idea here. Yet, cutting some hardwood wedges and locking them in place at the front wheel pivot (as per the video) will ease my mind now that the video has put the fear of a turnover into my head.