This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Wheel Widening

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Rear Wheel Widening

Postby DickB » Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 am

Hi, need some guidance here. Will be widening the rear tires on the '55 Farmall Cub so that the Wagner loader will fit. The procedure? First, I'm guessing from reading here, loosen ever so slightly the bolts to the hub, then rock tractor back and forth while in gear to make sure it is loose. Jack up tractor, and Second, take rear weight off. Third take tire (loaded and heavy) off at lugs. 4th, take off dish (now dished IN). 5th reverse dish, reassemble, tighten. Set tire back to the outward facing dish, attaching lugs, Then, the weight goes back on, but ?? reversed ?? with the dish pointed inward but the weight still on the outside? Do I have this correct?

Thanks for looking over my shoulder.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Rear Wheel Widening

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 03, 2014 8:45 am

Pretty much, you can leave the weight on if you have a hoist to handle the dish with, it will clear the final drives once the dish is turned outward. I live in hill country and sometimes find unexpected low spots, and have 3 weights on each wheel of my cub. One inside and 2 outside. The Wagner manual I have a copy of recommends the rear wheels be at their widest spacing, but mine are in one setting, to make it easier to load on a trailer. With them at the widest setting I would need an extra set of ramps.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat May 03, 2014 11:04 am

Don't forget to wedge the front axle.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sat May 03, 2014 7:03 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Pretty much, you can leave the weight on if you have a hoist to handle the dish with, it will clear the final drives once the dish is turned outward. I live in hill country and sometimes find unexpected low spots, and have 3 weights on each wheel of my cub. One inside and 2 outside. The Wagner manual I have a copy of recommends the rear wheels be at their widest spacing, but mine are in one setting, to make it easier to load on a trailer. With them at the widest setting I would need an extra set of ramps.

John, I was wanting to put the weight on the outside of the dish (now dishing outward). I wonder if that is possible? If the weight's tapered "front" becomes the "back" when it would mesh with the shape of the outward dish. Right? Or...

Somewhere, John, I'd read that the next to widest (as you have) was okay by the loader manufacturer.

Best, DickB

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Don't forget to wedge the front axle.

Bob

Bob, are you writing about jacking it up, or something else...something that I don't know about?

DickB

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:34 pm

DickB wrote:

Bob

Bob, are you writing about jacking it up, or something else...something that I don't know about?

DickB

Jacking it up. If you don't wedge the pivot so it doesn't move the tractor will fall over.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 03, 2014 9:39 pm

DickB wrote:.........
John, I was wanting to put the weight on the outside of the dish (now dishing outward). I wonder if that is possible? If the weight's tapered "front" becomes the "back" when it would mesh with the shape of the outward dish. Right? Or...

Somewhere, John, I'd read that the next to widest (as you have) was okay by the loader manufacturer.

Best, DickB
Yes, that will work just fine, I was just mentioning it was not necessary to move it to the outside. As I said, I have 2 on the outside and 1 on the inside.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon May 05, 2014 8:07 am

havoc1482 wrote:
DickB wrote:

Bob

DickB

Jacking it up. If you don't wedge the pivot so it doesn't move the tractor will fall over.

Thanks for finding and linking that video, Mike. I had no thought about removing both wheels at once. Rather, one after the other was the idea here. Yet, cutting some hardwood wedges and locking them in place at the front wheel pivot (as per the video) will ease my mind now that the video has put the fear of a turnover into my head.

Return to “Farmall Cub”