This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Flanged bushing for steering box

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Re: Flanged bushing for steering box

Postby Stevetractor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Yes your right Jim. When these things come up in our idividual overhauls we can just do a search. Sorry as I hope I didn't make you too much work trying to log on that older page. Thank you for trying anyways

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:45 am

Ben B wrote:The upper bushing was the one that gave me some work. It didn't want to fit up in the bolster, so I had to modify it. It was not a split bushing like the originals are, so I split it myself by cutting it with a hack saw. Then, after I installed it in the bolster, I inserted the shaft into it. The upper part of the shaft would fit, but it was too tight and was binding. So to fix that problem, I took emery cloth and worked the upper shaft until it would go into the bushing snug but would not bind up. (My shaft was pitted from rust damage so it's possible that was the reason for the binding)

YES! I noticed this as well. All parts seemed to fit good, but the upper bushing didn't want to fit (even with it not installed in housing) on the shaft. I ended up splitting it with a hacksaw and using some grease to press it into the housing. I then tried using a hone on a drill to make the inside bore larger. Once all back together I found that the steering was a little tighter than I wanted (tightness in turning the wheel). Not sure if that was the reason.

I wonder why those upper bushings aren't fitting properly? Sounds like buffing down the shaft with emory cloth is the way to go.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx

Postby Ben B » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 am

It's been a couple of months now and I've used the cub to plow out our only decent snow so far this year, and also plowed up the garden. The steering is slowly loosening back up, but the free play hasn't returned. Hopefully my efforts to fix mine have worked for the long haul.
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx

Postby Ben B » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:54 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I wonder why those upper bushings aren't fitting properly? Sounds like buffing down the shaft with emory cloth is the way to go.

Well, about that...

And also, there's been others who have had problems with the upper bushing not working as it should.

Please understand that my steering shaft had some major pitting on the upper part and the steering box was full of water when I got the cub. I suspect it had probably spent most, if not all of its life outside in the elements. With all that, I had no choice but to resurface the upper shaft due to the degree of pitting that had occurred. Honestly, if I had a shaft that was in good shape, I think I would make the bushing match the shaft, rather than work down a good shaft to match an aftermarket bushing.

Unfortunately, I didn't know just how much I had to undersize my shaft to smooth it up. Even with that, the bushing was still tight and took some work to make it fit and function like it should.

If anyone does plan to use this supplier for their upper bushing, be prepared to have to make some modifications to the bushing to make it work. I had to cut a slot in it, chamfer it, and work it down on the inside to make it all fit together like it should without binding.

I don't want to mislead anyone, because I don't like being misled myself. And if I have, I apologize for it. Just put simply, be prepared to work that upper bushing to make it fit correctly, because it isn't a direct replacement.

Now the bottom? It worked like a charm for me, and I didn't have to anything to it but put assembly lube on it. The flange on the lower bushing is a bit undersized compared to the factory bushing, so be prepared for that. But so far, I can tell no difference in performance at all.
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:29 am

steering shaft thrust washers upper and lower now available from TM

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/715fp.htm
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/985fp.htm
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!