This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sanding

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Sanding

Postby kinelbor » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:46 pm

I am ready to start sanding down the cub. Can I use a wire brush on a drill or do I need to use sand paper? How far down do I have to go?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:16 pm

For the cast parts a 4" angle grinder with a wire brush does a dandy job. The sheetmetal is up to you. I blast all mine, don't blast the main body. Only blast parts that are fully dissasembled that can be thorouly cleaned. many post have been dedicated to cleaning sheetmetal parts.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:54 pm

I used a sanding disk on a angle grinder on the sheet metal and just sanded the cast body before priming after degreasing
Image On To Bigger Things

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:05 pm

Sounds good. I will start with the wire brush and try to find someone with a sand blaster. What about the paint left on the tractor? That all comes off with the wire brush or what?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:49 am

An angle grinder spins a lot faster than a drill and is quite powerful. A tristed cop brush in one will take the hide off an elephant.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:33 am

Any way you look at it is is labor intensive, but hey we got lots of time. I still like what a guy told me awhile back, it's a good tip for anybody who restores/renews etc.... "It does not need to be done by Monday morning"
i.e. no deadline! Unless of course you are looking to take it to a particular show or event, but you place that deadline on yourself and it may or may not affect the quality of your project.

One note about angle grinders and wire wheels. Ever notice how the little wires will "fly out" and they wear down rather quickly depending on how much you paid for it. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES!!
I always find bits of the wire stuck into my pant legs, shirts, etc....Last year my daughters' motorcycle developed a flat tire. I pulled it apart and guess what penetrated the tire and tube, YUP, a single wire from the wire wheel had worked it's way up through it!

So now, whether I'm grinding inside the shop or out, I drag will always drag around a powerful magnet to retrieve the wires. You would not believe how much wire I come up with, that could end up in a vehicle tire and ultimately slow up your work on the Cub.

The wire wheel is the way to go if you don't have sand to blast.
Just Do It !

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rudi ,

Postby countershaft » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:56 pm

Beacon lite, what is a "twisted cop brush ? What's it look like ?
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:46 pm

I think he meant a cup brush rather than cop. Brushes are available with the bristlses twisted into "ropes' rather than jsut being individual. the clean better, and don't break off as easily.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:51 am

I took all the sheet metal down to bare metal with a twisted wire brush on an angle grinder. Does a good job without alot of elbow greese. Also doesn't leave marks like a sanding disk would. Used the same on the cast pieces to get the rust off. If a little paint stays on the cast pieces so be it. They are rough enough that you won't notice when you repaint them.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Return to “Farmall Cub”