This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle speed and hilling potatoes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

Throttle speed and hilling potatoes

Postby Papa's Cub » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:50 am

What is the correct throttle position when turning, harrowing or cultivating. I hardly ever use full throttle unless I'm mowing. Most of the time I work the tractor in 2nd gear and use the throttle to find a comfortable speed. My second question, why do we hill potato plants? I've always hilled my plants depending where they were planted. If low/wet soil I planted on a high bed for fear of seed rot. On dry sandy soil I don't plant on a bed, but, when the plants reach about 10" - 12" tall I fertilize and hill a good sized bed at that time. I always thought the real purpose of hilling was to provide soft soil for the potatoes to grow. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Re: Throttle speed and hilling potatoes

Postby torchred89 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:16 am

I always hilled my potatoes to keep them from getting sun burned. ( Green on skin).

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:25 pm

You hill them to get more taters
Thomas

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:35 pm

the bigger the bed the better the taters will be
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”