This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub's Ability to pull a Disc

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Cub's Ability to pull a Disc

Postby AGrinthal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:34 pm

I have a question. I haven't tried yet with my cub.. but I've always thought that the tow Gang disc's that are common with a CUB are a little Rinky Dink. Disc's need some weight. I was wondering if anyone knows how BIG a disk a cub can pull. I have an opportunity to get an I.H. 8' drag disk But I'm not sure that a cub can pull all that. (it's not real big). I would post a picture.. but I don't think I know how.. everytime I've tried... they don't show up.

Appreciate any comments. I know a cub can pull a 1 bottom plow.. and that can make a BIG mess if you don't have a good disk Harrow to smooth it out. I just don't know how well my 2 gang (side by side) drag disk will do on flipped sod.

Thanks
Andy
Andover, NJ

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05344

Re: Cub's Ability to pull a Disc

Postby dmacarthur » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:04 am

My guess on the IH 8'- no. It takes power and traction to pull a disc, the more the disc weighs the better job it will do leveling out your plowed ground (sorry for stating the obvious). IH tools are typically well-built and heavy. let us know how it works if you try it....

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby twotone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:28 am

I bought a 12 foot AC disc and narrowed it to 8 foot. It was pretty heavy, the Cub would pull it, but had trouble turning around. I hooked it up to my Super A and no problems.
Attachments
007 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
007 (640x480) (640x480).jpg (353.08 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:00 am

Cub implements were sized for the tractor. Pulling a larger disk, would be abusing the clutch, and other components. Addition of some weight to the cub disks, should get the job done. (Allowing the soil to dry, some, will allow the disks to break it up, easier)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks for the reply's folks. it was what I was looking for. I was kinda hoping that maybe a cub could pull more than what's generally offered in their product line. I'm sure my two gang disc can get it done.. its just that I may need to circle the wagon a lot. We shall see. I have an "M" but that's in the middle of tear down.. so I guess I will save my $$$ for disc for that tractor as I know it can pull the bigger stuff.

Happy Easter!
Andy

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 am

Get a 23A tandem disc for your cub. That was made for the cub and is the max size you want to pull
Thomas

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 am

I hear ya. Guy near me has one for sale in good shape but wants $550 for it. That's a bit on the ouch side. I'd rather go a few hundred more and get a transport Disc for my M. another guy has the 8' drag disc for $100 (or best offer). I wish I could figure out how to post a picture here and I would show it. Just looks like it will do better job than the rinky dink two ganger I got. However I guess I will make do until my "M" is back up and running...

Wait .. I figured it out. Here's the disc. I thought maybe I could just use the rear to gangs.. or just the front. A disc is what really "Seals The Deal" when prepping the ole garden. M wife runs a community garden in the back "yard" on a few acres of our 20 acre place and the guys are always out there with Roto Tillers... which is bit on the nutty side to me. I'm hoping the Cub will make life a little easier until the "M" gets done. (only so many hours in a day!)

Dragdisc.jpg
Dragdisc.jpg (74.55 KiB) Viewed 3654 times

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:45 am

"Wider" does not equate to better disking, too.

If you have an 8ft disk that puts the same pounds per square inch down as a Cub disk, it won't do any better job. It will just do the same job quicker, provided you can pull it.

I have found that with my fast hitch disk, a 12" cinder block in the weight basket over each gang makes a HUGE difference in how well the disk cuts.

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 am

I plan on plopping a rear wheel wait on mine for added weight. I can't see it being effective on flipped sod without the weight. I'm trying to get my restore done before the fields "Green" up .. however time is getting tight. I've disced fields with my "M" and a transport disk and it was poetry in motion! However the "M" Is down and we moved and I don't access to the disc anymore. The cub was my "Practice" restore before this summers "M"! I have yet to see what this overgrown lawnmower can do.

I have hopes.... It's a cool little tractor!

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 am

I recently had some timber cut and while the reforestation company was raking and bedding I asked the operator to push stumps and rake about 3/4 acre garden spot I had marked off. I then took my cub and single gang harrows w/solid cement blocks for extra weight and to my surprise it did a great job leveling the dirt. The biggest obstacle I ran into was the small roots left behind would get caught in the harrows and I'd have to get on and off to pull the roots off the harrow blades. My soil is mostly sand and I'm sure that was in my favor. So my comment to your question is if time is of the essence then you need a larger tractor, but, if you have the time your cub will do just fine. Let us know how it turns out. Have a Blessed Day, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks Tom... I have enjoyed my cub project thoroughly so far. My wife was always afraid of my "M" and I think the cub will work out well (especially for cutting grass!). I heard enough hear to feel like if I start using the 1 bottom plow I won't have a mess that the disc can't clean up (With a little patience).

I'll post back with my results. I have found this site to be a Fantastic Resource! I wish there was an "M" site like this.

Enjoy the holidays!!
Andy

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:39 am

That $100 disk would work great, behind the M I use a similar one with the 444 diesel.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 pm

AGrinthal wrote:I hear ya. Guy near me has one for sale in good shape but wants $550 for it. That's a bit on the ouch side. I'd rather go a few hundred more and get a transport Disc for my M. another guy has the 8' drag disc for $100 (or best offer). I wish I could figure out how to post a picture here and I would show it. Just looks like it will do better job than the rinky dink two ganger I got. However I guess I will make do until my "M" is back up and running...

Wait .. I figured it out. Here's the disc. I thought maybe I could just use the rear to gangs.. or just the front. A disc is what really "Seals The Deal" when prepping the ole garden. M wife runs a community garden in the back "yard" on a few acres of our 20 acre place and the guys are always out there with Roto Tillers... which is bit on the nutty side to me. I'm hoping the Cub will make life a little easier until the "M" gets done. (only so many hours in a day!)

Dragdisc.jpg

Actually this looks like the Big international disk that I pull with my Cub. I just took off the rear gangs and the front pulls just fine. Mu cub dosent lug at all pulling it. But I also have pretty sandy soil here in Ok. I dont even have to put wheight on it. I like the fact that I can change the angle by not even getting off the tractor. And the best part is mine was less than $100 bucks at a farm auction.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

CharlieB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42701
Tractors Owned: 2 F-Cubs; 1 Low-boy Cub
Massy-Ferguson 135
601 Ford

Postby CharlieB » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm

I have the Cub tandem disk and welded some extra angles over the front section
so I could stack concrete blocks 2 high. Pulls OK and cuts deep....

Return to “Farmall Cub”