This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front mounted blade questions-nOOb alert!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mrem1205
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13676
Tractors Owned: Gloria, a '51 cub

Front mounted blade questions-nOOb alert!

Postby Mrem1205 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:10 pm

As a disclaimer, I would like to point out that I have little to no idea what I'm talking about.

I just purchased my 1st tractor, a '51 Cub. Everything seems to be in good working order, hydraulics work well, sounds great while running, starts well etc. It has a belly mounted grader blade. I justified the purchase to SWMBO by telling her it would be just the thing we need in order to keep the driveway clean during our lovely Northern New York winters...maybe now you guys can see where I'm going with this one.

My question is, what do I need to mount the blade on the front of the tractor? It seems like there are a few parts that are needed which I don't have. Are these something that any of you guys have fab'ed up yourselves? (I'm far from a metalworker but I have torches and a welder...) or are they readily available, either as nos, oos or reproduction?

And as a side note...how do you post pictures?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Re: Front mounted blade questions-nOOb alert!

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:01 pm

A few people have them or Epay might work.Might only need a few pieces..Check out the picture section...Kevin :shock: :shock: T and M [a Cub vendor] probally has them!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Here's a link to a TM Tractor (Forum sponsor) picture that shows all the parts needed to front mount the blade: http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/blade54apallet_001.htm When you know what you need, you might want to post in the Vine (wanted forum) and see what is available close to you. In the tool bar above, you can click on "PDF manuals" and find owner's, service, implement, and other manuals. If you go to the "How to" forum, there are several instructionals on how to post pictures and resize them if necessary. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable Cub lovers here, so feel free to ask any questions as they arise.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Mrem1205
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mrem1205 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'm picking the old girl up this weekend, so I'll be able to see more of what I need and the like. I'm not always a big poster on forums but I'm sure I'll be stalking a lot of old threads in the months to come

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Mrem1205 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'm picking the old girl up this weekend, so I'll be able to see more of what I need and the like. I'm not always a big poster on forums but I'm sure I'll be stalking a lot of old threads in the months to come

I'm wasn't big on forums either, not until this one. Warning: it's addictive! :-)
I'd check with the seller. He may have the rest of the blade parts laying around
Thomas

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi up there in upstate NY,

You might like to know a couple of things about upstate NY cub folks who might be helpful. One is that Cecil, below Albany, has Cubfests at various times of the year and, although I've yet to make one of his Cubfests, I'm told that they are important for contacts and for sharing of info and for exchange of used equipment such as you might need. He has, I believe, the larger event in the fall which would work out for your timing, your promise to the wife. The other thing is that Tim, also down below Albany a bit more, sells used parts -- I've bought from Tim and found him helpful -- he is "tst" on the forum here. Some of the fellows here who sell used equipment travel around to various Cubfests and I've noticed in their postings that they often come with a trailer loaded with equipment. Lastly there seem to be a number of really helpful guys going to various Cubfests who kindly pick up stuff and bring them back to their homes where they can be claimed. So, many options.

Cheers, DickB

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 am

As Thomas said check with seller. Probably was bought as a front snowplow. Print out the TM link in Bob's post to help you ID the parts that the seller has laying around. Sometime an owner might not remember the parts and not want to give them to you because he thinks they are for something else and if you have the picture in hand of the missing pieces it might just jog him memory where he put them.

Kirk

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:21 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. Enjoy that cub.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:08 am

I second what Kirk-NJ said above. Definitely ask the seller questions about ANY parts that he has sitting around. It'll be too late after you head away with the tractor on your trailer.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:20 am

Print out the manuals for the blade, top of page. Take the print out with you when you pick up the Cub.

Edit: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... 6-7-53.htm

End edit.

Below is a link to the grader blade from another site.

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/ci ... _Blade.asp
Last edited by Eugene on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:22 am

Note that the blade on your tractor may be an earlier one or a mix of both, with or without substitute parts. Mine is the earlier one, pictured here: http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/blade54pallet_001.htm but with just a flat plate that bolts to the front attachment lift. Take some photos of your setup and post them when you get a chance. If you have some nonstandard parts, we'll be able to help you through it.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:43 am

One other thing if you are missing the square mounting blocks try looking in your bolster on the tractor. Many times the tractor get sold with the blocks still in it and the snowplow at a later date. Also the tool box under the seat might be a good place to look for them or other mounting bolts. Post some photos when you get it home. Good luck.

kirk

Mrem1205
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mrem1205 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Will do guys! The thing I love about this stuff is that these tractors are 60+ years old, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this problem. I will def. take pictures when I get her home. Thanks for all your help!

Mrem1205
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mrem1205 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 pm

So I couldn't wait...we went and got "Gloria" today. After a near miss backing her onto the trailer, and realizing that you need to put gas in that big hollow thing on the top of the tractor in order for it to run...she's resting quietly in the garage. I hope this works...I took some pictures of what I have for the blade. We took it off to load it, just pulled the pin between the back tires and took the bolt out of that spring jobber that hooks to the boomerang? Anyways, forgive the low light cellphone pics but here she is! http://imgsrc.ru/main/pic_tape.php?ad=1 ... 85417_next

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Nice looking tractor. You have a 54A (two springs). If you compare to the picture of the parts on a pallet, you will see several lift arms and the curved boomerang are missing.
You'll also need the two blocks (axle hanger bolt spacers) for the square implement tube and a 12" grade 8 bolt. TM Tractor carries those pieces and you can see what they look like on their website. The other parts should be obtainable used (or new repros if you prefer that route). A post in the Vine for "wanted" will get you going. As an aside, did you show oil pressure when you started it?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”