This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help! Won't stay running

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
Circle of Safety: Y

Help! Won't stay running

Postby Ben B » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:00 pm

You know, I'm just plain ol' puzzled. Ever since I adjusted the valves on the 50 Cub it has run like a champ. At least until today...

I got it out to do some more plowing, and it would run for a minute and die... Start right back up and die again after about a minute. I took it back to the barn and cleaned out the fuel strainer bowl and the screen in the strainer and the screen in the carburetor inlet. I thought that would fix it. It didn't.

Sooo, I thought it might be overheating, so I checked the radiator and coolant and it was fine. It has plenty of oil and oil pressure is great. And, when it runs, it runs great, then falls flat on its face unless its setting in the barn. If its just setting, it'll run all day.

I'm sure its probably something simple that I'm overlooking. I'm just so aggravated that I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone get me headed in the right direction here? I'm just plain ol' buffaloed over this one. :?

Thanks for any help and advice!
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Help! Won't stay running

Postby tmays » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Sounds like trash in the main jet to me. Take it out of the carb, clean the hole with soft copper wire, then blow air through it. Hope that works for you
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Or partial blockage inside the fuel tank?

Remove plug bottom of carburetor and check fuel flow for 30 seconds.

Minute or two run time = fuel flow problem, some place.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:24 pm

My sickle tractor was doing that when I got it, (that is why it was thrown on the auction)---Turned out to be sediment floating around in the gas tank!---After moping out the tank real good then high pressure blowing to dry and remove the rest of the fine stuff , it will now run like it should! ---Not saying thats your problem,-- but something to check on! ---also check cap vent for proper action! thanks; sonny

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx

Postby Ben B » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Thank you folks! Once again, you helped get the cub back in ship shape. It turned out to be the fuel float was set too low, and it was draining the bowl faster than fuel could get into it, so it was indeed a fuel flow problem. Thanks a bunch!
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

Return to “Farmall Cub”