This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Warm up time

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TrainsNTractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Warm up time

Postby TrainsNTractors » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:31 pm

How long do you experts let your Cubs warm up before you go out and do some mowing with it. I know this is heavy work for these little guys and just thought I would ask seeing how they are a gravity system with out a thermostat.
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:19 pm

Just what time it takes to drive from the shed to where I am mowing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:24 pm

My Cub warms up really quickly. Only need about half choke for 30 seconds and then it smooths out.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Ditto. Quick to warm and stay purty constant.

TrainsNTractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TrainsNTractors » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:53 am

My cub starts and will run with out choke in a few seconds also. I was thinking more of getting the cylinders warm and a little heat in the cast before you work it hard. Or do you not see much effect on these lower revving engines from hard work when the block is still cool? I am looking to get a good long life out of my cub. At least 50 more years.
Dan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:30 am

TnT:

I usually wait a suffieciently longish time before I put Ellie to work. I think that really one should provide seniors with the time they need to get up to working temperature on par with their younger brethern.

So, in deference to Ellie's advanced age, I usually allow her the time it takes for me to walk from the left hand side of her, to the right hand side, put my foot on my new Cub Step-me-up and sit. I figure, if she waits that long, she is ready to go :!: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Me on the other hand, well as I git older, I gits me a bit slower :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :? :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:30 am

Well, we have been using the '47 for 58 years now, and we also have a very complicated warm up proceedure which, I am sure, is what has kept it going. I walk to the left side check the oil, turn on the gas, walk around to the front check the radiator, climb up, start her up (almost never has needed a choke) put her in gear and down the pasture I go, warm up time of 10 seconds seems to be just about right.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:32 am

On the Lowboy I generally start it count 10 then look at the oil gauge. It such a convulated position to get in to that there are a couple of seconds more. I then have to run to where ever I am doing what.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

TrainsNTractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TrainsNTractors » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:06 am

Thanks all for your replies. It looks like we all do about the same thing. Once she is running we can't hold off. We just jump on and go.
Dan

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:17 am

The same here for warm up time. I am generally more concerend with cool down time. I usually let mine run five to ten minutes after mowing hard before shutting her down.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:51 pm

Hey "TrainsNtractors" After I start up "Carol Elizabeth" (while standing on the ground) :wink: ...by the time I git my over-sized butt into the seat :lol: (THANKS to Rick's finely crafted, non-bending CubStep :wink: )...my Carol Elizabeth is warmed up and ready to GIT-R-DONE :D ! Generally...I"M the ONE WHO needs to be warmed up :oops: !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall Cub”