This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Raising Fixed Drawbar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Raising Fixed Drawbar

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Dell wrote:With just the weight of the empty trailer the drawbar was twisting and the tongue had a springing bounce to it.
What is the tongue weight of this 6 x 12 utility trailer? And what does the trailer weigh?

Thought. You have way more trailer than the Cub can handle.

Another thought. I use bigger tractors than the Cub when required. For most trailer jobs such and picking up rocks or fencing, the tractor only runs for a few minutes between stops. The fuel usage over what a Cub would use is minimal and I have a lot more trailer capacity, weight or material wise.

Next thought. How much fuel would be consumed by your larger tractor accomplishing the same task - - - for the price of the material and parts to elevate the draw bar?
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49057

Postby Dell » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 am

Barnyard wrote:
Dale Finch wrote:I would think that if you just use a regular "drop" receiver turned up, it would work without giving you that long arm with resulting moment/stress....they make (I think) 6" or 8" drops that can be turned up or down.

I thought the same thing almost three years ago. Check out the 5 pages of comments that came back as a result of my post on the subject back then. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62893&hilit=reciever

I always do a topic search before starting a thread, yours did not come up. But some good thoughts in there.

As for the fuel issue, mainly the cub is just handier to maneuver around the yard.

It will work, I just have to get the weight directly down onto the drawbar.

The old tables and bed frames will go to the back of the trailer and dishes, pitcher bowl sets, butter urns, lanterns, etc to the front.

Dell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49057

Postby Dell » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:46 am

The trailer is a 6x12 single axle. The previous owner extended the front end one foot with steel.
It's a good job and handy but it does add a little tongue weight.
I have a small 4x8 homemade trailer made from a 1928 Chevy front axle, but it's full too.
It'll all work out and I appreciate the input.
Thanks,
Dell

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 am

I'm bummed the universal hitch mount didn't work out for you. I didn't fully digest the size of your trailer or how far your stackup would hang off the drawbar. I think you are right that you would be putting a tremendous load on the final drive attachment points. Thanks for posting photos.
Last edited by Urbish on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 am

Straight up from the center hole of the drawbar is your best bet.

I have seen hitch balls with 2" risers built into them, and due to the Cub's thin drawbar, you could probably sneak another 1" of flat washers in there for a total of 3" rise. At least that would get you closer.

Return to “Farmall Cub”