This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First Start up - and Running Rich

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

First Start up - and Running Rich

Postby AGrinthal » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:49 pm

I have just got my cub going after a total rebuild on engine. She starts fine and seems to idle pretty well. I have run it for less than 30 minutes and haven't moved it since I have the hood off and I'm using a gas drip bottle tied to a post. Here's my question. I took the plugs out to do a compression test and they are black (compression was ok.. about 109 across the board... up from 60 when tested without it having run. I would think that figure would get better as the rings seat).

Also it seemed to me it was eating a lot of gas for just sitting there idling. after do some research I see there isn't much to do to change the Mixture. The carb has been rebuilt and I did spend a lot of time on the float adjustment. I read somewhere that a cub idles rich since the jets are fixed and meant to be under load. So I guess what I'm asking is once I take it for a spin and put some loading on it.. I should see cleaner plugs?

Like I said it starts right up and idles pretty smoothly.. Just don't like the black plugs and what seems like a healthy gas drinker..

Andy
Andover, NJ

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: First Start up - and Running Rich

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:17 pm

How does it act with different choke positions?
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Don't get excited about the soot on the spark plugs at this time. As long as the engine starts easily and runs reasonably well - leave things alone for a while.

Fuel consumption. As long as you are not dripping gas out of the carburetor - leave things alone for a while. Fuel consumption at low idle will be some where around 1/4 to 1/3 gallon per hour. High idle and under heavy load the engine will consume about 1 gallon per hour.

Let the engine warm up, get broken in, then you can make some final adjustments.

The Operator's Manual has a section titled "Tractor Break-in Period". It takes at least 25 hours (clock hours) to break in a rebuilt engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 am

Agree with Eugene, however, there is a mixture adjustment on top of the carb. It adjusts the air, not gas, so opening it outward would lean out the mixture. I usually start at 1.5 turns out from the seated position, then adjust, looking for two things:
- no black smoke at idle
- a smooth ramp-up to fast idle (no stumbling or hesitation, and minimal or no black smoke)
It wouldn't hurt to check that mixture screw.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Postby AGrinthal » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm revisiting this thread. I have used my cub now for many hours over the summer to plow fields (sad it got dirty!) and this winter I have the grader blade set up in front as a snow plow. (made my front gear box leak a little) So she's been getting plenty of use. I'm back though on my running rich soap box. I have black soot on my hood after running it for a while (which of course I wipe off and re-wax).

She starts fine and runs fine but I have the above observation and the following. I NEVER have to choke it. In fact I didn't even put the choke pull back on. This winter even in VERY cold conditions she starts right up. NO choke. I've had two days where the temp may have been single digit and she starts right up but stumbles for a second or two. But after that she's fine.

I'm an anal Mech Engineer and she really runs fine EXCEPT for the soot issue. I'm sure if I take the plugs out they will be black. I don't think gas consumption is bad and like I said I have quite a few hours of plowing and discing on it and she runs strong. I just want it run the way it should.. There shouldn't be black soot on the hood after running 15 minutes. Eventually that all buildsup.

Just wondering what to do..
Thanks
Andy

PS The carb was completely refurbished. Even had the top milled flat. And the guy who did it said it has THE CORRECT jet fitted for the serial number.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Well, the first thing I would do is to repair the exhaust leak. Since this allows soot to accumulate on the hood it would at least remedy that problem. Sounds as if you have it tuned to perfection. Just a thought, out of sight...out of mind!
Good Luck, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:37 pm

What plugs are you running. Yes, Cubs tend to run quite rich in my opinion and there's little adjustment in the carb for this. If you are running the D-16 plugs, change up to D-21, the hotter plugs will definitely burn a bit cleaner. Starting without choke sounds to me like it's tuned just about perfect. Mine ran that way after I had been through them, and I rarely ever had to choke a Cub to get it started, even on the coldest days.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm not doubting the guy who rebuilt the carb. But my son's cub had the same rich issue, with soot on my garage door and his hood. A new carb finally solved it, the old one simply wouldn't be rebuilt correctly. I never figured out why, and I am not a guy who gives up easy. At any rate, try and locate a smaller main jet , and give it a spin. Ours had been drilled out, but even when replaced, we couldn't get it right. Some carbs may just never run right, possibly a mix of parts, ?????? Couldn't hurt to try, you should probably be able to tell if it goes too lean (under a load).
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”