This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine overhaul?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Engine overhaul?

Postby Posco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 pm

If I were to bite the bullet and go with a complete rebuild on my Cub engine what would/should that entail? Pistons/rings, valves and associated parts, gaskets, resurfaced head.

If I'm going to go to the trouble, I'd like to do it right and do it only once. I'd appreciate any and all recommendations so I can start accumulating parts.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Engine overhaul?

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Posco wrote:I'd appreciate any and all recommendations so I can start accumulating parts.
No way to answer the initial question. Need to disassemble, clean, inspect and measure to determine needed parts and perhaps machine work.

Above all, do not order any parts until you determine what parts and perhaps machine work is required.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Posco, what makes you think it needs the overhaul? I agree with Eugene that there is no way to know what all it needs until it is all disassembled and measured. If you don't have the tools to measure, that is best done by a shop. They will typically give you the best price for the whole package deal. If you are going all the way, then they would boil the block and magnaflux it to make sure there are not cracks that make it not worth it to bore etc. A complete overhaul would be boring/honing, fitting new pistons and rings to the new bore, valves, new seats (if needed), they will check the main and rod bearing journals and turn them if they are out of round and worn.

Your engine may need some or all of this work or perhaps NONE of it...depending on what you or the machine shop measures!

Really agree with Eugene on the do not order parts until you measure...

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Hengy wrote:Posco, what makes you think it needs the overhaul?

The tractors age. It's a 1950 Cub and my thinking is after that many years on her, she is apt to need some work and if I'm going to dig into it, I might just as well dig deep.
I think...I repeat THINK I've found someone capable and trustworthy enough to do the work. It's beyond the scope of my knowledge to do the work myself. If anyone knows of someone in Maine who they would recommend without reservation to do the work, I'm all ears.

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Eugene and Hengy are right. Ive been down that road and parts and machine work can run up a tab that is more than the cub is worth. After parts and labor my C60 10/13 hp engine came to around $2600.00 much mor than the 67 lo-boy is worth. If I had to do it over again I would have got a second hand engine from a trusted source. I would have saved almost two gand. My second cub needed work and I honed and reringed myself. Still running strong. $000.02 from one who has been there. Think of all those implements you I could have gotten to make my life easyier with all that moola. My wife would have been hapier too.
Pete from Virginia Beach

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I would recommend that you do the disassembly of the engine yourself...at least to the bare block (without busting into it). That will give you a chance to learn your way around the tractor and how it goes together. It will also save you some money on the labor front... Definitely need to trust the shop for sure!
Image Image

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Instead of accumulating parts, throw some money in a safe place every once in awhile….Then when you see what you need you'll have a start or maybe you won't need it and you can buy another cub... :lol: :lol:…Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Among other things, I'm a heating technician by trade. I can look at your boiler or furnace and tell you if there might be a better choice of nozzles or pump pressure or air setting to give you a better burn. I know a bad burner coupling by feel and can tell if your water feeder is about played out. Change a circulator or purge a zone, aquastat settings too high or low, limits reversed...no problem but I don't know antique internal combustion engines and I love my baby and want her in fighting trim. That's my motivation.

I'm knowledgeable about that stuff and do right by my customers...I'm looking for the same in a tractor repair guy.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:04 pm

I don't remember from earlier posts... but have you adjusted the valves and then checked the compression? That's a good indication of the engine condition.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:06 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:Instead of accumulating parts, throw some money in a safe place every once in awhile….Then when you see what you need you'll have a start or maybe you won't need it and you can buy another cub... :lol: :lol:…Dave

My wife doesn't understand the relationship I have with this Cub. Two Cubs could lead to divorce, if not murder.
Last edited by Posco on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:I don't remember from earlier posts... but have you adjusted the valves and then checked the compression? That's a good indication of the engine condition.

Bob

The guy who is locally hailed as a tractor guru and had my Cub for the better part of four months said the compression was good. He is the same guy who gave it back to me with governor issues. He did locate me some quality chains. I really want to turn it over to a competent, trustworthy individual...or get about ten of you guys and your undivided attention at the nearest Cubfest.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Check the compression for yourself! The testers are cheap, and if you buy the good screw in kind, you can even test with the hood on if you have good hands. Does the tractor hold good oil pressure? Blow smoke? Have blow-by out of the dipstick breather? If it is low on power, but doesn't smoke badly, repairing the governor slop and adjusting the valves will help TREMENDOUSLY in the power that the tractor has. If, however, it is blowing smoke and having low oil pressure, you are well founded in wanting to have the engine looked over...

Mike
Image Image

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Hengy wrote:Check the compression for yourself! The testers are cheap, and if you buy the good screw in kind, you can even test with the hood on if you have good hands. Does the tractor hold good oil pressure? Blow smoke? Have blow-by out of the dipstick breather? If it is low on power, but doesn't smoke badly, repairing the governor slop and adjusting the valves will help TREMENDOUSLY in the power that the tractor has. If, however, it is blowing smoke and having low oil pressure, you are well founded in wanting to have the engine looked over...

Mike

The pressure comes up on the gauge, it doesn't smoke and no blow-by. It does use a bit of oil but that may be loose bolts on the oil pan...I'll be checking that the next decent day we have. I'll get the tester and take into consideration all of the advice you folks have given me. Thank you, each and every one. You guys are the best!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Uses oil or drips oil?
Image Image

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:29 am

Hi Posco,
The Guys have given you great advice, another thing to keep in mind- if it aint broke don't fix it :{_}: :{_}: Those old engines were designed to stand up to a lot of abuse and use. so do heed the good advice.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Return to “Farmall Cub”