This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine overhaul?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dusti Snider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24739
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall "M" - Restored
1949 Farmall Cub - Original "Blue Ribbon Reconditioned"
1953 Farmall Super AI
1934 Farmall F-12
1929 Farmall Regular
1956 Ford 640
1972 Ford 4000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Engine overhaul?

Postby Dusti Snider » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:37 am

If it doesn't smoke, has no blow by, good oil pressure...then I wouldn't mess with it. Valve adjustment, thorough ignition tuneup and checkout, and governor adjustment should make a big difference and cost very little if anything.

For the record, "Otis" smokes, has blow-by but carries very good oil pressure, and dribbles and drools gear oil.However it starts and runs very, very well.

Member IHCC Chapter 37 & 42 - North Carolina

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:02 am

Posco, Do you have an itemized list of what was done to your Cub during the 4 months it was with the tractor mechanic? If not, you might want to contact him (non -confrontationally) and see if you can get that info. Did he oil the fan hub, generator, grease the throwout bearing, repack the front hubs, change the gear oil in the tranny and rear finals, change the oil in the air cleaner, adjust the valves, drop and clean the oil pan, install new ignition parts, etc.? Some of those things are easy to check, but need to be done if they weren't before. What was he asked to do? Was it just to get the Cub running, or to do a "full service" on it? Your Cub may be in better shape than you think, even though you have found one or two areas that needed attention. Just my 2 cents.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:08 am

Posco wrote:
Hengy wrote:Posco, what makes you think it needs the overhaul?

The tractors age. It's a 1950 Cub and my thinking is after that many years on her, she is apt to need some work and if I'm going to dig into it, I might just as well dig deep.
I think...I repeat THINK I've found someone capable and trustworthy enough to do the work. It's beyond the scope of my knowledge to do the work myself. If anyone knows of someone in Maine who they would recommend without reservation to do the work, I'm all ears.

The engine might have been overhauled before you got it.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:18 am

1950 Cub, engine has more than likely been overhauled at least once and probably twice, specially if this were a farm tractor.

Agree with others, complete engine and tractor problem diagnosis before we open up the engine for a overhaul.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 am

Posco, you are right about buying a second cub for "yourself" could lead to a divorce or worse. That was a fear of mine as well, my wife just didn't understand why I needed or wanted another cub. So, I did the next best thing. I bought her one of her own and one in a lot better shape than mine. Now I've never confronted her, and probably never will, but when it's time to mow grass I've noticed she walks right by our craftsman to climb up on her cub ( Tom Boy ). Anyhow, it worked for me. Good luck with your Cub. Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:30 pm

I refused to accept that you lack the knowledge to do the work yourself, especially given that you are already experienced in a mechanical trade. Engine dis-assembly/reassembly is not difficult and does not require specialty tools beyond a torque wrench and a feeler guage (this is assuming you let a machine shop take the measurements regarding wear). The first major mechanical task I tried was rebuilding my MG's engine from the block up, with a book in one hand and a wrench in the other. It worked.

That being said, I agree with the others that you haven't really given evidence (other than age) that a rebuild is necessary. Start with a dry/wet compression test. If you get good numbers there and she is holding oil pressure, and is not otherwise making alarming noises, save your money.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Hengy wrote:Uses oil or drips oil?

That's a good question, Mike. It's going somewhere but it is not evidenced in the form of smoke. I added abut a quart this weekend and that's the first oil I've put to it since I changed the oil and filter last fall.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Posco, Do you have an itemized list of what was done to your Cub during the 4 months it was with the tractor mechanic? If not, you might want to contact him (non -confrontationally) and see if you can get that info. Did he oil the fan hub, generator, grease the throwout bearing, repack the front hubs, change the gear oil in the tranny and rear finals, change the oil in the air cleaner, adjust the valves, drop and clean the oil pan, install new ignition parts, etc.? Some of those things are easy to check, but need to be done if they weren't before. What was he asked to do? Was it just to get the Cub running, or to do a "full service" on it? Your Cub may be in better shape than you think, even though you have found one or two areas that needed attention. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

It was a running Cub, Bob. I asked him to do the carb (leaking fuel), governor, steering gear housing gasket, repair a broken weld on my plow and locate me some chains. I drained and replaced ALL the fluids when I first bought the tractor including oiling the fan hub. I pulled to cups off the front tires and packed them with grease. I put new plugs in it...going back to the Autolite after reading the 'Champion' thread.

I haven't touched the oil in the breather nor dropped the oil pan. Not yet. No valve work. Claims he went through the distributor but I can't say for sure. The governor (engine) didn't surge until he "fixed" it. I rewired it A to Z, new alternator and battery. He had my tractor for almost four months. I told he to take his time and not feel pressured, I wanted it done right. He took me at part of my word.

Return to “Farmall Cub”