This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SMALL transsmission problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
4evr fixin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16053

SMALL transsmission problem

Postby 4evr fixin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:07 pm

New to the forum, hoping someone can help. Pulled my 49 cub out the other day and started hearing a loud clicking from the tranny. I have it jacked up so both wheels are off the ground. If I turn the engine over the top end spins fine. If I turn the wheel the drive gear in the differential goes about a garter turn and stops along (obviously) with the bottom end of tranny. I can keep turning the wheels so I'm thinking has to be in tranny. I can force it past this stop then about one revolution of countershaft and it stops again. Acts almost like a bolt backed out just far enough to snnag. Any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: SMALL transsmission problem

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Pull transmission cover and look for a broken tooth on the reverse idler or on the counter shaft that drives the reverse idler, assuming this is happening with it in neutral. Also, possibility of pinion gear on the differential end of counter shaft, or bearing on counter shaft
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 am

Is this a new occurrence, something that happened after parking the tractor?

Agree with John. Drain the transmission and remove the transmission cover.

Check for loose shifter fork(s). My first thought was ice built up in the transmission.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74011
Tractors Owned: -
1958 F Cub with Woods 42C
1962 LoBoy with FH & Mott Flail

Postby Jason_Coffey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:09 am

My tranny clicks in first and reverse and a little in second. The PO left it outside for who knows how long and the transmission filled with water which rusted the teeth on the lower gears. It still works fine, but it gets noisy.

4evr fixin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 4evr fixin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Haven't seen a broken tooth yet. I've been running it for a few months and it just started one day. Haven'tpulled the shifter forks yet but both were tight. The P.O. had it in a garage for 8 years I changed the oil and it was clean.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm

I know that you said that it happens with the tractor jacked up, but I'll make one "simple" recommendation. Check all of the wheel bolts...those holding the center to the hub, the center to the wheel rim and the wheel weight bolts to make sure that they are good and tight. Was there some kind of "trauma" to the tractor that started it?
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

4evr fixin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 4evr fixin » Thu May 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Finally got the tranny back from turners tractor, apparently there is a collar with a set screw which backed out. Second gear and the reverse idler were a little chewed so we got new ones. Of course its noisy now...

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Fri May 30, 2014 5:56 am

By the way, welcome to the forum from Arkansas.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm

4evr fixin wrote:Finally got the tranny back from turners tractor, apparently there is a collar with a set screw which backed out.............
I know my memory is failing, but I cannot remember a collar and set screw in the transmission except for the pto shifter, and it is supposed to be a little loose to allow the collar to slide. Can someone help me with what collar the mechanic told 4ever about.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Fri May 30, 2014 10:22 pm

it is most likely that there was some pieces of broken shifter or bearing parts that were in the bottom of the tranny for years. when you first moved the tractor the grease was thick and picked up a piece of something. If you cant see anything in the grears it is probably stuck in the ring and or pinion gear.It also can be in a bearing.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat May 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Jason_Coffey wrote:My tranny clicks in first and reverse and a little in second. The PO left it outside for who knows how long and the transmission filled with water which rusted the teeth on the lower gears. It still works fine, but it gets noisy.

If you flush the tranny and run it the rust will disappear.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat May 31, 2014 7:11 pm

Block up the tractor and run it with the wheels off. Take the longest socket detention you have and put it to your ear and the other end on the area each bearing. This will tell you where the loudest bearing or noise is coming from. Noises can travel and confuse us. My noise was in a final drive.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”