This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restoring Cultivator Set - Need Input

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Restoring Cultivator Set - Need Input

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 am

As many of you are well aware, there are many Cub Cultivator sets (not just Cub really) out there are are in functioning order but are well worn at the joints. With a worn cultivator set, you have a lot of movement and slack in all of the joints causing them to not be very accurate when cultivating through soil and possibly digging up your plants. A good, tight cultivator set is getting harder to find having that 98% of the cultivator sets out there are used and no new ones being made.

I am looking for some suggestions and ideas on how you all have restored them or have seen done. I realize that alot of the joints can be tightened up using the bolts on the brackets, and I will be replacing all bolts on the cultivator with the original style and tightening them that way to see if that helps; but what about the slack from wear when the bolts are tightened all way up? What would you do in that case? Shim? Weld and grind? Sleeve? Has anyone restored a worn set to make them tight again?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Restoring Cultivator Set - Need Input

Postby tmays » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:57 am

I'm putting a set together also, so I'll be watching this thread. Timely post :-)
Thomas

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:01 am

I've never done a fix for the problem you are describing, but I am certainly familiar with it. I would like to hear whatever you (or anyone else) try to deal with it. My thought is to use a bushing. I doubt that it will be easy to find any ready-make bushing that will do the job. I think it will generally need to be quite thin, as it doesn't really take much slack at the pivot to allow a lot of motion at the feet. I would probably look at a section of electrical conduit or exhaust pipe that is near the right size. It would need to be split lengthwise to allow it to fit the diameter of the tool bar. Put the split down so it can easily collapse as the bolts are tightened.

I see 2 problems with this approach:
1) If the wear is mostly on one side of the clamping area of the bearing, this approach will not improve any mis-alignment due to wear. The only fix for that may be welding/grinding the bearing area, a part I would rather avoid welding. Maybe brazing some filler into the bearing would be a better choice.

2) The materials I suggested were not intended as wear parts. They may rapidly wear, making the fix rather temporary. As many of these tractors are used now, "temporary" may be more than adequate.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the interest in this thread guys. I feel like if we work together then we will figure something out that does the job, and like you said Jim....alot of these tractors are only used a few times a year in a personal garden, so it doesn't have to be a perfect fix but needs to be a good one. I would, too, like to avoid welding anything and grinding down (bearing or toolbar). I had noticed the following on the McMaster-Carr website and thought maybe a product from this page might work?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=rc126u

What do you all think? Any other ideas guys, or anything that you've seen done to fix this issue?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:32 am

after looking into that shim stock and thinking about it, maybe that stuff is just too thin. Think so?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 am

It will be costly but why not take the gang beams, and the front "bearings" where the arms pivot to a machine shop, have them bored "true, and then make bushings to take out the slop? The beams and bearings are not solid all the way through but I don't see why it won't work.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:55 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:after looking into that shim stock and thinking about it, maybe that stuff is just too thin. Think so?

That is what I was thinking. If a single wrap of .031 is enough to be happy with the result, it probably wasn't that loose to begin with.

By the way, this isn't just a matter of better accuracy in use. A loose joint is much more likely to break when the cultivator hits a hard obstruction. So tightening them up helps avoid breakdowns.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm

My 144 cults have some play in them, but I never had any problem cultivating. My rows were at 36" spacing, and I never wiped out a plant. It could be that wonderful Illinois soil I had. In 21 years of having that garden I never found a rock bigger than a golf ball, and only a couple of them. I used sweeps front and back, and they slid under the soil beautifully.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:03 pm

You can set the shanks to compensate for the wear. But most can be tightened up. If the can not be tightened up they are worn very badly and may have a crack or 2 in them.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Postby DieselDennis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

What about drilling the worn hole 1/8" oversize and installing an actual sleeve ?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sleeve-bearings/=rc99xv
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:24 am

Boss Hog wrote:You can set the shanks to compensate for the wear. But most can be tightened up. If the can not be tightened up they are worn very badly and may have a crack or 2 in them.
Boss

Are you saying that most can be tightened up just by tightening the bolts at the adjustments? Mine do have some adjustment room left, but I am wondering how much it will help....I've never had to tighten any up that were bad enough to need it, so do you think 1/2 inch gap enough adjustment to tighten them up a bit? Hopefully I will be able to work on them on Sunday to find out what happens. I've got to put my order in at McMaster-Carr for the new bolts.

I would like to say that there have been some good sounding ideas that some of you have brought forth.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05344

Postby dmacarthur » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:33 am

As I understand it, if ther is still room betwen the "ears" on the casting which is tightened by the bolts then there is still adjustment in the 144 without further bushings. Is there any reason not to keep squezzing with the pinch bolts till the ears are touching?

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Yeah, I understood it that way as well, I was just wondering how much (say 1/2 inch) of that room would it take to adjust a worn set. I didn't know if someone on here has tightened up those bolts and didn't know if it took tightening them up all the way or just a little. I would like to find a different alternative (as well as using it with tightening the adjustments) so the "adjustable part" doesn't have to be the last resort and thus shortening the life of them by another 50 years. :lol:
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:48 pm

So......just spoke with my local Fasteners Supply House (similar to Fastenal but local). The owner said he can't get a 7/16 square head bolt because it is an odd one to find as it is "obsolete" for that size (his words). I found some on McMaster-Carr but noticed that these are a little pricey for a pack of only (5), and noticed it says LOW GRADE. I don't like the sound of that. It seems to be the only 7/16 bolt in 2 1/4 length. Fastenal doesn't even have one....in that length at least.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:06 pm

If your bolts are still intact, I would reuse First cults I did I reused the bolts. Those old square head bolts and nuts hold up really well and I usually have success in removing them. They can look really bad to start with and clean up rather well. With that said I will have to buy bolts for this set I'm doing now. It was disassembled when I got it and the bolts were nowhere to be found
Thomas

Return to “Farmall Cub”