This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub starting problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TaylorLambert
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub, YM3000 Yanmar, 1975 3550 Ford backhoe Case Skid steers, and a fence row BF Moline

Cub starting problems

Postby TaylorLambert » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Hey guys haven't been online for a while,I've had a sorta topsy turvy year. My Cub has a problem I can't run down. Y'all helped me with it at Mr. Russ's Woods on Ridge Cub fest get the new mag on and timed. Mr. Russ straightened my carb top and reworked it. The motor had been redone before then. It worked well but now got to where their starter won't start it. It hits several times but won't catch. If you pull it off it starts in about 2 feet of pulling it runs top notch. I'm divorced now so I'm out a luck on my tow driver lol. Y'all take care TL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub starting problems

Postby brichter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:44 pm

hey Taylor, good to see you posting again. Sorry to hear about your divorce but if you decide to get married again make sure she will let you take a trailer on your honeymoon. :D :D

Billy Ray

By the way, I expected you to come to our Deep South CubFest in Florida. Mark it down, February.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

TaylorLambert
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub, YM3000 Yanmar, 1975 3550 Ford backhoe Case Skid steers, and a fence row BF Moline

Postby TaylorLambert » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Hey Billy Ray I wanted to go bad but court was around that time. As for marital plans I'm gonna be a professional bachelor unless I meet a gal at a tractor show lol. I did bring back most of a Cub from Palatka in the bed of that little Ranger.
I got got a 2 year old girl out of the deal that's gonna be a mess lol.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:16 pm

TaylorLambert wrote:If you pull it off it starts in about 2 feet of pulling it runs top notch.
49 or 50 Cub. Is the ignition system a magneto or battery powered?

Magneto, sounds like the impulse coupling is not working. Battery powered ignition system, sounds like the mechanical advance is stuck at full advance.
I have an excuse. CRS.

TaylorLambert
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TaylorLambert » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:29 am

Eugene sorry forgot to post the model. It's a 49 with a new remanned magneto my trouble at Woods on was the mag was 180 out. If it's the impulse coupler what's the best remedy.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:19 am

You will hear an audible click from the magneto's impulse coupling when cranking over the engine, if the impulse coupling is working.

If no click you will need to remove the magneto and determine why the impulse coupling is not working.

Be sure to set the engine on #1 cylinder, TDC before removing the magneto.
I have an excuse. CRS.

TaylorLambert
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TaylorLambert » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Eugene the battery was dead so I put the pto in gear and turned it the impulse is clicking. Frustrating dad drug one out of the woods and it started right up lol.

Return to “Farmall Cub”