This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mower question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74011
Tractors Owned: -
1958 F Cub with Woods 42C
1962 LoBoy with FH & Mott Flail

Mower question

Postby Jason_Coffey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 am

Does the flail or the woods mower leave a better cut for a lawn?

Thanks!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mower question

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:55 am

My only experience with a flail mower is a rear Fast Hitch mounted Mott. Having said that, I would think that with equally sharpened blades, the results would be pretty much the same. The advantage with the flail mower is that it will not pick up a rock or a golf ball and throw it through your neighbor's living room window. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 am

Owning both type mowers, about the same results on a well maintained lawn, knives sharp, mower in good condition.

Flail mower has a much finer "chop" of cut grass. There is no skip with the flail mower that you can get with rotary mower on turns when the mower is well worn and blades not sharp.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74011
Tractors Owned: -
1958 F Cub with Woods 42C
1962 LoBoy with FH & Mott Flail

Postby Jason_Coffey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:29 am

Thank you.

I only ask because the guy that has the flail mower told me it cut uneven. He explained it as a wavy pattern. I figured it had something to do with the blade maintenance.

You mentioned the flail being attached to the fast hitch. The flail that was attached to the cub I just bought was belly mounted. What is the difference?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:05 am

Here's the Fast Hitch mounted Mott...

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 am

I only ask because the guy that has the flail mower told me it cut uneven. He explained it as a wavy pattern.
The solid roller under the flail mower follows the ground. Uneven ground such as a rock, clump of dirt, mound, the roller on the mower follows the minor elevations.

I mow uneven ground. I usually just let the flail mower float on it's suspension system, with the roller an inch or so above ground. This is not a lawn, it's the acreage entrance area and pastured.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Having used a flail, a 42 inch Woods, and a 59 inch 3 blade Woods, My personal observations are that the 59 inch gives the smoothest cut, with the 42 inch Woods and the 48 inch flail both giving a comparable cut if blades of both are sharp. I currently use a flail, and have used one for over 25 years, and have learned a couple tricks. You get a more even cut the closer to the ground it is set. with the roller set to cut to the lowest height, which is approx. 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches. Raising the mower up one hole on the roller does give a little rougher cut. You also will get a slightly smoother cut in first gear than in second, but the difference is not big. As Eugene said, the roller follows the ground and if the ground is uneven it will leave some dips, etc. I let mine down to the point the weight is just on the roller, but the chains are snug, so if the front goes over a hump it raises the cutters and evens out the surface, also if the roller goes over a dip the chains hold the mower up rather than following it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!