This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Surging engine.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Surging engine.

Postby Posco » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Got my Cub back from a local guru and noticed the engine rpm seems to surge up and down. He rebuilt the carb...new float, etc. and cleaned up the governor among other things. It seems to idle just fine at an even rpm but when I apply throttle while I'm plowing it's up and down, up and down. My understanding is the governor will modify rpm when a load is applied but this seems to surge whenever rpm is up whether under load (plowing) or not. Normal?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Surging engine.

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:01 am

Not normal. Could be fuel flow (carburetor), governor adjustment, or linkage adjustment. Start with the linkage adjustment.

You can test by separating the governor from the carburetor and operating the carburetor by hand.

Caution, do not let the engine over speed, run away, before you get a chance to control/operate the carburetor by hand.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 am

Check to make sure the throttle to governor linkage is not rubbing against the engine block. Pretty common occurance and will cause exactly what you're describing. It's easy to bend this when taking the carb off, and not realize that you've pushed it towards the engine.

Also, make sure that all the linkage throughout the governor/carburetor is all moving/sliding freely. If it's bound anywhere it can cause this.

Next, double check that the carb to manifold bolts are tight, as a vacuum leak could cause this. Again, if someone else did the work, they may have stripped the bolts trying to tighten the carb.

Those are my thoughts.
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:10 am

Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:52 pm

I agree with all the above. The linkage on my Cub was not only maladjusted it was also bent and stuck on the block. When I first got my Cub it had a severe timing issue. Once that was fixed it started fine but my engine surged to dangerously high RPMs because of the linkage problem. Sure drove fast though! :{_}:
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Thank you to all who replied, I really appreciate it. It's been cold, snowy and I'm working a lot of hours so haven't had the time or inclination to take a good look at it yet but I did notice the outdoor temperature seems to have an effect. I'm wondering if there might be something gummed up that stiffens in the colder weather. It operated normally when it was above freezing but today with the weather in the mid teens, it did the surge thing again.

I'll let you know what I find when I get a chance to give it a good look. Thanks again!

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:06 am

if the air cleaner was filled with heavy weight oil or water has gotten in it can make the tractor run pretty lousy in the cold too.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Eoghan wrote:if the air cleaner was filled with heavy weight oil or water has gotten in it can make the tractor run pretty lousy in the cold too.

I'll check that. Thank you!

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:48 pm

I pulled the linkage from the carb to the governor and the rpm remains constant at high or low throttle so it's not a fuel starvation issue. I pulled on the governor linkage with the engine running and it would fight me. When I pull, it pulls back.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:15 pm

What you describe sounds normal. When parked and running at no load, the engine requires much less fuel than when doing work (plowing). My first step would be to (really, really) clean the high speed jet.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Posco wrote:I pulled the linkage from the carb to the governor and the rpm remains constant at high or low throttle so it's not a fuel starvation issue. I pulled on the governor linkage with the engine running and it would fight me. When I pull, it pulls back.

Have you adjusted the linkage in accordance with the recommendations above?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
Posco wrote:I pulled the linkage from the carb to the governor and the rpm remains constant at high or low throttle so it's not a fuel starvation issue. I pulled on the governor linkage with the engine running and it would fight me. When I pull, it pulls back.

Have you adjusted the linkage in accordance with the recommendations above?

I tried opening the link earlier in the day with no luck or time. I'm going to try opening it again.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:31 pm

I adjusted the rod connecting the carb and the governor as per directions in the link and it helped a bit but I seem to have lost quite a bit of available throttle. There seems to be a fair amount of slop in the connecting rod leading over to the governor. I can articulate the rod leading over to it back and forth before it engages. There is a fellow on ebay who has reconditioned governors for sale for $148.00 plus a fifty dollar refundable core charge. Thoughts?

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:52 pm

There is a key and keyway that is internal to the governor, and the rod that goes across the front of the engine is indexed to the governor by this. It is common for that keyway to wear, causing slop, and lost motion in the throttle control. There are some fixes if you search on here, and/or the rebuilt governor "may" not have the same issue. I would want confirmation of that before I purchased one.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Rick Spivey wrote:There is a key and keyway that is internal to the governor, and the rod that goes across the front of the engine is indexed to the governor by this. It is common for that keyway to wear, causing slop, and lost motion in the throttle control. There are some fixes if you search on here, and/or the rebuilt governor "may" not have the same issue. I would want confirmation of that before I purchased one.

Thank you. That is exactly what I'm experiencing. As I mentioned before, a local tractor 'guru' did a bunch of work for me but somehow he overlooked this issue. Odd, in that I asked him specifically to go through the governor and the carburetor which he said he did. Time for a new 'guru'.