This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub irriation

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub irriation

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:54 am

When I first got my Cub I was literally in awe of what it was capable of. It is a perfect blend of power to weight, which is about 10 HP and 1500lbs depending on several things. Not very powerful or very heavy but... it does everything it was designed to do extremely well! I plow a small garden, disc, and drag a spike tooth harrow with the same Cub and it does a great job of it. I also cultivate, mow the yard with a Woods 59, use a Cub 22 mower for cutting a field and fence rows, and grade a driveway, all with the same machine. I personally have no problem with changing implements, not a big deal. With that said, and since I love Farmall's and I love my Cub, if I had it to do over again I think I would get a Super A or a 140 sized tractor for the 540 PTO, a little more power and weight, with a fast hitch (with implements), or a 3 point.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:50 am

Brutalfly, A cub was designed for the farmer who farmed up to 40 acres. They will do most anything needed on a small farm, though they are only 10 hp., and weigh about 1400 pounds. The modern compact tractors are handier of you are one of the people that is always in a hurry and has to get everything done in a hurry, but for plowing gardens, maintaining a few acres, etc. a cub will do the job, and is a lot cheaper. Tractors such as a Ford 8N, have their places, but were designed for bigger operations and are heavier and less maneuverable in tight places such as gardens. The shortcoming of a cub is that they are really a pain to install and remove the cultivator, which is the reason that many people who cultivate and also use them for other purposes have more than one tractor.

If you feel like taking a drive, come over to Potosi, on the east side of the state and see mine, as well as try them out. If the ground is dry enough you can even try out the plow, disk, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:10 pm

You say cubs are JUNK? -----Is THAT the reason I own and use 8 of them?---I have big (all colors) tractors to plow and do the heavy ground work, (Cub cant pull subsoiler 36" deep! LOL!!!), but the big tractors do! (IH 806 and the Allis 190 xt diesel).---During and after planting I do NOT want the big heavy units anywhere near my gardens! (too much compaction ) THATS were the cubs come the process.----NOT heavy,-- granted not powerful but then I dont get in a hurry!----The biggest problem with them is that they run too fast in 1'st. gear(my personal need is S-L-O-W), BUT for the money buy several of them and forget about fighting the ole attachment change!---I am getting too old and de-crepid to do that anymore, so when something gets mounted,---it stays on!---I made my own 3-pt hitch for one of them,---then made some attachments that are light enough to handle when changing them.---So as you can see cubs ARE flexable and if ya just gotta have more power,--go for super a or 140 (dont get straight a because they dont have hyd. or lift system!) ---I also have an a and one super a---just for the standard pto use. thanks; sonny

IHfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12578
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub w/FH
1948 Cub w/ International 1000 loader
1946 BN
1953 Super C w/FH
1968 John Deere 55 combine
1983 International 1440
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby IHfarmer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Brutalfly, I plow,disk cultivate the 5 acre vegetable garden/field on my family's farm with my '48 cub and I love it ! :D It's not the fastest but it is enjoyable. I have found that when time gets short, I use our bigger equipment (we are farming about 700 acres). So the garden take a back seat on my end. That being said, we have a ford 8n, ran this tractor everyday raking hay till we got a tandem rake hitch 6 years ago. It did a good job for that task. We now use it to spilt firewood and cart stuff around on small running gears. I couldn't imagine using it in our veggie field; it's just to cumbersome and awkward. Just my honest opinion. Good luck in your search.
Rich

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

Postby Brutalfly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:56 pm

SONNY wrote:You say cubs are JUNK? -----Is THAT the reason I own and use 8 of them?---I have big (all colors) tractors to plow and do the heavy ground work, (Cub cant pull subsoiler 36" deep! LOL!!!), but the big tractors do! (IH 806 and the Allis 190 xt diesel).---During and after planting I do NOT want the big heavy units anywhere near my gardens! (too much compaction ) THATS were the cubs come the process.----NOT heavy,-- granted not powerful but then I dont get in a hurry!----The biggest problem with them is that they run too fast in 1'st. gear(my personal need is S-L-O-W), BUT for the money buy several of them and forget about fighting the ole attachment change!---I am getting too old and de-crepid to do that anymore, so when something gets mounted,---it stays on!---I made my own 3-pt hitch for one of them,---then made some attachments that are light enough to handle when changing them.---So as you can see cubs ARE flexable and if ya just gotta have more power,--go for super a or 140 (dont get straight a because they dont have hyd. or lift system!) ---I also have an a and one super a---just for the standard pto use. thanks; sonny

Sonny,
I hope you did not think that I thought cubs were junk.
I definitely don't thinks.
I just hate how some people who I have talked with disrespect it.
I just got fed up with them not giving it any credit.
Please don't think that was me.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:50 am

I would like to add that you should consider what tractors are commonly used in your area and where parts would be readily available.
It isn't convenient to own an antique tractor and have to wait 3 days for parts to show up because they could only be obtained on the internet.

I don't know what type of implements you will need, but a Live 540 PTO and a 3-Point Hitch would be at the top of my list. (Neither the cub, Farmall A, nor the Ford 9N or 8N would fit this requirement)

Mowing or brush hogging is a terrible experience without a live PTO.
Changing implements is a pain without a 3-point hitch.
Power steering would be required IF a loader bucket is needed.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”