This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How do i start my cub ????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cubby
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45069
Tractors Owned: 26,27,28 farmall regular
47cub= Cubby
48 cub=Rusty
49cub=BEEcub
75 cub=Lemon Juice
76-CUB=RED BIRD
53 AC-WD
NH TC-18
53 "H"
67 sears SS-12
3 CADET ORIGINALS
73 Wheel Horse-Automatic
Cadet 73
Cadet 70
Cadet 100(2)

How do i start my cub ????

Postby cubby » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Hello to all. After 6 yrs of sitting in the background, i have decided to ask another question. I bought a 1950 cub 5 yrs ago,non running.After bringing him home i got the tractor running in a couple of hrs.I pushed it in the barn where it has sat since. My question is: Can i put diesel fuel or K-1 in the engine and hand crank the engine to clean and mix with the oil so it will drain easier? My shop is not heated unless i"m working on something and it's been really cold here.After i drain the oil i can prime the oil pump and will try to start it. What else besides plugs,points,condenser should i do to get it running? After he runs i will be changing all the fluids.Anything else?Should i spin the engine by hand,with the plugs out or use the starter and try to start the tractor first try. Thanks Rick

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How do i start my cub ????

Postby gitractorman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 pm

I don't think I would add diesel fuel to the oil. Most modern oils will be fine even though you let it sit for 5 years.

I would definitely pull the plugs and spray som Kroil into the cylinders, probably a week prior to trying to start, just to fight the rust that may have occurred.

Drain the fuel tank, carburetor, then add some new fuel and make sure you have flow of gas to the carburetor, from the tank, and into the carburetor, making sure the float is working and the screen in the carburetor is not plugged up.

Then, I would crank the engine by hand with the plugs out, fuel off, to prime the oil pump. Probably crank it 20 or 30 times to make sure everything is turning freely and the pump is primed.

Next, I'd re-install the plugs, turn on the gas, and try cranking with the starter. See if you get any fire, or attempt to fire. If so, you should be able to get it started. If not, you'll need to go back, check fuel to the engine, check spark to the plugs, points, etc., but that's a whole next step.

If you do get it to fire and/or start. I'd run it a bit, warm it up, then drain fluids start installing new tune-up parts, etc.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Every thing Bill said should work for you. Two things I will add to this. If you don't get fire clean the points. When it does start, recheck your oil pressure to make sure it does come up even thought you cranked it before hand.

Once you get it going do as Bill said and tune it up and change fluids.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:40 pm

While the carb is off, it is a good idea to remove the valve cover and observe the valve assembly movement and correct adjustment while hand cranking the engine. If all valves do not move when cranking, then you need to determine the cause and correct it before trying to get the engine to start/run. BTDT, my experience with engines that sit for a long time is stuck or maybe even damaged valves. Good luck.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:31 pm

I just file the points, make sure the plugs get spark gas in carb choke on and a good fast tow truck down the driveway,--should either start and run or at least fire and smoke!---I dont mess with all the other steps!--started many that way over the years and not all of them were red ones either some were green, some yellow---one was a BLACK one! LOL! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall Cub”