This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No. 30 corn sheller

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: No. 30 corn sheller

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Here you go. I posted this earlier today over on a Cubfest thread:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:58 pm

tmays wrote:Papa's Cub
The guy grinding the corn at DSCF was Buddy, a forum member(mvhighcrop). He will be hosting the LA Cubfest this coming weekend(Mar 7&8). I was the recipient of some of that fine cornmeal myself! :-)

I have access to a fantastic open pollinated corn, grown by my great-grandfather, and still grown by my 80-something great uncle, that makes fantastic corn meal. But I can't find anyone close by with a grist mill to grind it.

Was the #30 sheller marketed for the Cub, like the 4E hammer mill?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Hengy wrote:........ I'm sure that this seemed to be a HUGE improvement over manually cranking a sheller ...............
Not everybody switched over to the power driven shellers. I saw this one at a show last summer and yes, I can read the side of it. The interesting part to me is the other side, shown in the second picture.
100_5835.jpg
100_5835.jpg (190.71 KiB) Viewed 237 times

100_5834.jpg
100_5834.jpg (158.91 KiB) Viewed 237 times
As best I could tell that is the bottom of a 35 gallon barrel bolted on. I hope they took the hand crank off when they used the belt :shock:

rjfcsa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60957

Postby rjfcsa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 pm

I sure would not want to run one of those hand crankers with a belt. :shock: Stuff exactly like that is the reason there were several farmers around with missing libs. I try to be very conscientious about safety when running the flat belts, it is not something to take lightly. I don't have lots of experience running the flat belts, but were the old timers start talking I like to listen. Remember we learn from our mistakes, but learn form the mistakes of others, as I will not live long enough to make all mistake myself. :) I don't know why I got rambling about this but some of the farmer modified stuff I see makes me nerves.

Anyway the no. 30, as best I can tell was sold between 1940 and 1958. I wasn't aimed at the cub but any smaller horse powered tractor. It was the only sheller they sold in that time frame, well they could have been still selling the hand crank model. The older models were those 4 wheel big jobbers that kind of look like thrashing machines. In 1951 this was the only sheller they sold. The 1951 new list price for one equipped as the one in the video was approx. $221.00

Russel

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 pm

1940 to 58 was also what period that I was told by old time dealer who had all the catalogs of IH equipment.---the #30 had different options, like a vertical steel chain elevator or in my case the blower. cob stacker was another option,--also a bagger was available for them.
Not sure if I still have the pages that he e-mailed me or not, gotta dig among some stuff and see!
I want to get mine running again to shell large amount of chicken corn with!---I have a big ole MM 1200 unit but dont need it!---the hand sheller WITHOUT a crank is all I have to use right now! thanks; sonny

rjfcsa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60957

Postby rjfcsa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:47 pm

SONNY wrote:1940 to 58 was also what period that I was told by old time dealer who had all the catalogs of IH equipment.---the #30 had different options, like a vertical steel chain elevator or in my case the blower. cob stacker was another option,--also a bagger was available for them.
Not sure if I still have the pages that he e-mailed me or not, gotta dig among some stuff and see!
I want to get mine running again to shell large amount of chicken corn with!---I have a big ole MM 1200 unit but dont need it!---the hand sheller WITHOUT a crank is all I have to use right now! thanks; sonny

Yes there was several options, one was the basic unit no fan just the sheller and you scooped the shelled corn off the ground, you could add the fan, the short sacking elevator, the long wagon elevator, the sort sacking corn thrower, the long wagon corn thrower, and the cob elevator. We have one with the sacking elevator, just not fixed up yet. I have the owners manual as well as the parts book for the shellers.

Russel

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:01 pm

rjfcsa wrote:I sure would not want to run one of those hand crankers with a belt. :shock: ............ I try to be very conscientious about safety when running the flat belts, it is not something to take lightly. I don't have lots of experience running the flat belts, but were the old timers start talking I like to listen.......
That hand sheller setup may have been hooked to a hit and miss engine and turned fairly slow. I'm by no means an old timer but I watched/helped dad and my older brother use a belt driven buzz saw to sharpen cedar fence posts. Two thoughts come to mind. First static electricity, I think you're fine with the loader to ground the tractor. Just remember to put it on the ground. If you forget you could be in for a shocking revalation. :shock: We used to always have a chain on the tractors and which ever one got hooked to the saw got one end of it layed on the ground. The other thing is it looks like your belt is touching in the middle, I believe it should be tighter or use a shorter belt so it doesn't rub and create friction. You may have to drive something in the ground to keep the sheller from walking when you back the Cub to tighten the belt.
Great to preserve and show the old implements and machinery, even better to be using them :{_}:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 am

I have decided I just about HAVE to have a pto or belt driven corn sheller. Saw a nice JD 43 on YT, but it sold before I could pull the trigger.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”