This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control parts sources

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cranky-yankee
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30052

Touch Control parts sources

Postby cranky-yankee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:48 pm

New to the board but long-time cub owner (since the early '60's).

I'm refreshing my later model (x719) touch control valve body, I found a few problems, and wanted to know where the best source is for the parts.

1) The fluid strainer is history, I've found them for about $70 online. Does that sound about right?

2) The plastic sleeve in the safety valve is broken, is there a source for this part?

3) Speaking of plastic valve parts, all of mine (2 check valves, 1 valve plus the above sleeve) are discolored in what looks to have been an overheated environment. Does this spell future trouble and can those parts be sourced?

4) If they are unavailable, would an aluminum replacement be feasible? Are there working drawings available for them?

5) Is there a source for the orifice/strainer? Mine has collapsed, is it salvageable?

6) When I removed the relief valve I did not find a screen beneath it. Is it integral with the valve or is it missing and if so, is there a source for that?

7) Lastly, is there a source for the rubber boots? Both of mine are history.

I did not see any of the above parts in my rebuild kit, just gaskets & o-rings.

Thanks in advance...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

crazyjoe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02835
eBay ID: crazyjoe1078
Tractors Owned: 56 cub with fast hitch
one point plow
one point harrow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Control parts sources

Postby crazyjoe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:42 pm

all parts in your touch control are avallible from the dealer but are expensive for all plastic and steel parts were close to three hundred :(

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Recently someone posted a "How To" giving a step by step procedure on how to make a new strainer. I don't remember who posted it though. Check with TM Tractor parts for the other items you mentioned. When I rebuilt mine last year I purchased everything from them. Oh yea, the parts are sort of expensive. Good luck and keep us posted. Papa's Cub.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Papa's Cub wrote:Recently someone posted a "How To" giving a step by step procedure on how to make a new strainer. I don't remember who posted it though.

Stanton
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

cranky-yankee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cranky-yankee » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:47 am

OK, so I have found some of these parts on-line but keep hitting a wall when I try to order parts from CASE/IH store.
All I get is a parts unavailable message.
As luck would have it, what I cannot get are critical for the rebuild.
Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong on the CASE website? (Yes, I did select a "dealer")
I guess the next step is contacting a dealer via land line phone.

Any thoughts?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:31 am

Columbia Tractor of Claverack, NY.
800-352-3621 or 518-828-1781
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm about 10 miles from Columbia and had a talk to the parts guys one day and the plastic parts are an available item. Give them a call they do on the phone orders and ship. If you have a problem PM me and I'll give them a call.

cranky-yankee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cranky-yankee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 pm

I'd like to clean up the valve housing before reassembly.
What is the best way of doing so?
Chemical strip, hot tank, burn off, media blast?
I can think of reasons NOT to do each of the aforementioned.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:19 pm

I think a lot of the Forum members would wire wheel/cup the outside, clean it with a degreaser, and prime. After disassembly, use carb cleaner to clean out the inside. The cleaner the outside is before you open it up, the less likely you'll get crud inside. If you already have it apart, you could either reattach the two plates or be very meticulous in cleaning before reassembly. The o-rings don't need much of an excuse to start leaking.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

cranky-yankee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cranky-yankee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Thank you all.
Got my parts from Columbia (I actually had been there many years ago when I lived in Hartsville, MA) & will start cleaning & degreasing this Saturday.
Is it worth treating the interior with glyptol (paint used in engine blocks to make oil flow more quickly into the pan)?

cranky-yankee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cranky-yankee » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Got everything cleaned & am putting it back together. One question though. The big screen is a bit too long. Is it a crush-fit? Designed to crush tight when the head is torqued down? Or do I need to perform some surgery?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Crush fit.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

cranky-yankee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cranky-yankee » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 am

Well I didn't get everything reassembled in a timely manner (life got in the way) but after awhile, the pasture was in serious need of mowing. So I finished things up, filled the reservoir and cranked her up. NO movement from the touch control unit. Didn't have time to screw with it so I chained up the mower deck & did the pasture but now I have some time and want to get this thing working.
So here are my questions and observations.
When I filled the reservoir (about 3 quarts), I slightly overfilled it and the fluid showed LOTS of foam when it leaked out the fill port. From this I assumed the pump was working and was purging air from the system. I figured the air might take awhile to purge so I moved the control rod back & forth numerous times with the engine running with no result.
After mowing the pasture (about 1-2 hours) I parked it. Next time I went to use it, I checked the fluids like I usually do and the oil was way above the high fill line. I assumed the pump was leaking, badly. So I checked the reservoir and sure enough, it was almost empty. I pulled the pump and disassembled it. There is an obvious groove in the drivegear shaft where the o-ring contacts the shaft. That coupled with the empty reservoir leads me to believe the leak is massive, to have drained the reservoir in less than 2 hours.
So here are my questions. Would a bad enough leak out the pump gearshaft decrease the pressure enough that the unit would not operate? Not so much as a twitch? Or do I have another problem in the rebuilt unit that I missed/overlooked during reassembly?
I have read up on the pump and am going to attempt a lipseal upgrade which will allow me to position the seal away from the groove on the shaft. Everything else in the pump looks OK on a visual inspection.
I do not have a pressure gauge that will read the pump pressure. Any suggestions?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:35 am

Well not for nothing, but you'll know the answers once the pump is fixed, and you have to fix the pump or junk the tractor, right?

When I rebuilt my TC and pump, things started working within 3 cycles of the control lever, and I saw no foaming. The oil level just went down as the pump primed itself and filled the lines and passages. Not sure where foaming would come from.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:40 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:Well not for nothing, but you'll know the answers once the pump is fixed, and you have to fix the pump or junk the tractor, right?

When I rebuilt my TC and pump, things started working within 3 cycles of the control lever, and I saw no foaming. The oil level just went down as the pump primed itself and filled the lines and passages. Not sure where foaming would come from.

Foaming is caused by air in the system.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”