This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

mott flail mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

mott flail mower

Postby Kevin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:50 pm

Hi everyone
I recently acquired a 48" mott mower and wanted to know if anyone uses a 5" pulley on the pto? If so is there much advantage? I tried the mower and seems to cut the grass very well with the 6 1/2" pulley.
thanks
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:37 pm

Kevin I think this is the right one. A friend with a 1958 cub with a dealer installed Mott Flail has this pulley.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:05 pm

Kevin, I tried a 5 3/4 inch on mine and it does give a little smootehr cut, but the difference is minimal. it does take more power to run it that way, and if you do any rough service cutting, or tall thick grass you will notice the power reduction. The shat is already turning nearly 2,00 rpm, and th 5 inch pulley will raise it to almost 3,000. That shaft is heavy and if you don't have it perfectly balanced (which very few are) the bearings will fail a lot faster.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:45 pm

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to know if it helped much. It seems to cut good spinning to the front to cut my yard and when I cut something heavier I turn it to cut toward the back. All things considered I was impressed with the cut I received from a Flail mower. I am considering replacing all the blades and pins. Mine look original. I purchased the mower for $125 with everything to mount and a special grinder to sharpen the blades. Seems like a pretty neat mower setup.
thanks again
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:17 am

You got a great buy. The pto pulley is worth that much. How about posting a picture of the grinder. I use a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder to sharpen mine. One note, the blades are surface hardened, and after one or 2 sharpenings they really dull fast.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:27 am

Kevin: One word of caution on twisting the belt so it throws cut grass to the front. I ran mine that way when I first got it but soon found out that the grass was plugging spaces between the vanes of the radiator. You may need to check and blow accumulated clippings from the radiator frequently. Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:09 pm

Yep, tried that too with the same results. there was an optional mulching shield that could be put on the front wen throwing grass forward.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:04 pm

I forgot to paste the link I had in mind.

http://www.tmtractor.com/pt/rotary_mower_pulleyfp.htm

Iknow it says Rotary mower and am now in a sweat if it is the right one.

Bill[/quote]
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:20 pm

Yup, that will work. I have used them. The one thing I didn't like about it was that in order to get it for enough to the rear to line up with the idler pulleys I had to mount it with the bolts facing the transmission. Made it a real pain to install and remove.

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:27 pm

Mine seems to have a piece of rubber making a shield seems to work very well keeping the grass clippings from flying forward I would like to make something for it out of metal maybe in the future. I will email you the pics I can't seem to get them to post. I'll have to practice a few.
thanks
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:07 am

Kevin's grinder.