This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grease & Rust removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cchatham
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rudi's slide #30

Postby cchatham » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:59 am

Rudi:

You have a picture of a piece you put into the tank as a before - do you have an "after" picture?

Seeing what you'd done, and seeing another couple of examples on some Motorcycle forums, I made a "test" one out of a top of a plastic barrel (10 gallons), and used baking soda in it (haven't been able to find "washing soda" anywhere yet). Don't know if that's a regional thing or not, as we generally have fairly soft water here. We don't want to use lye though.

In the 10 gallons of water, I used about 1 box of Arm & Hammer baking soda, and we were able to take a scaly coated fan blade from that to a black one in about 8 hours.

We haven't changed the water yet (nice shade of pure rusty color), but have "freshened" the solution with about another half-box of baking soda.

We have been testing other things, like adjustable wrenches, the toolbox under a seat, wheel bolts, etc. and have been very pleased thus far. We've got about half of the draw bar in it now.

Questions:

How often do you change out the water in your tank?

Do you "freshen" the solution in it as you use it?

At which point is the solution no longer effective?

I've seen other things used, from coat hangers, to stainless steel to sheet steel etc - from what I've seen the only advantage to using stainless is that it doesn't seem to corrode as quickly as others. I believe you used rebar, correct?

Thanks for the help.

SC

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Farmall Cub”