This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub farmall info

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
timhillman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47031

Re: cub farmall info

Postby timhillman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:43 pm

the fingers are adjusted to 1inch 3/16 they are with in .010 of each other. the clutch is new pressure plate is the Rockford brand, I have a auburn pressure plate that I put stronger springs in that I could use. what brand of clutch do you recommend?? I did measure the distance from pressure plate mount to disc surface and it is not even close to being even, but I don't know what it would measure just mounted, I guess I could check that without a clutch disc in place. please let me know what else you think about this.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 am

I had the same symptoms on my numbered loboy. (Not the same clutch, but similar).
I fiddled with it for over a year until I got it correct. I destroyed several clutch discs of many various brands getting this right.
Even dealer parts get destroyed when not installed exactly perfectly. 'learnin the hard way'
Two things made significant improvements.

1) The driveshaft must be fully seated into the pilot bearing (or bushing). Not having this causes the clutch disc to wobble and not spin in a perfect circle. The pressure plate then gets grabby on the side not in contact with the flywheel. The wobble does tear up the clutch disks (quickly). The rivets where the hub attaches to the clutch disk take a beating and break (within a couple of summer mowing months).
I would imagine that a non-straight driveshaft would cause a similar issue.

2) The fingers MUST be adjusted so they all engage evenly. If one disengages first from the throwout, then an uneven pressure is applied to the clutch disc. Again, things get grabby. Make sure the throwout bearing surface is even and that the fingers are not being worn by the throwout bearing when the clutch is disengaged. The adjustments are quite sensitive and require much attention to detail.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

timhillman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby timhillman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:08 am

one last question are all drive spline the same for the cub and the lowboy???? there are several online but not sure if they are all the same, some of the new ones look different on the ends. before I split this time I will try to see if the shaft is wobbling, and I will see if I can correct this Rockford pressure plate. also I do have the auburn pressure plate I can use just have to fix up one of the fingers. please let me know about the drive spline are there different ones??? thanks everyone, your comments are so helpful.

timhillman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby timhillman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:56 pm

I split the tractor, I measured the height from mounting surface to pressure plate surface there is up to .050 difference on one of the 3 places the other 2 are almost the same. this was a new pressure plate and only has about 20 hours on it. this is a Rockford type. do they still make the auburn type??? I had better luck with the last one that was on this before.

timhillman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby timhillman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:10 pm

just to let you all know. I put a new pressure plate and clutch and new style automotive throw out bearing in and I did replace drive spline and bearing. but the pressure plate and clutch fix the problem. everything is smooth going now. I want to thank you all for your comments everything was helpful. my dad is glad to have his little cub back he use to mow the for the highway department when he was a kid, in the early 1940s, we also have 6 other farmall tractors, so needless to say dads happy again. thanks you all !!!!!!!!!!!

574747r
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46350

Postby 574747r » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:43 am

I am helping my Dad replace the reverse gear in his cub, we have the tractor split at the rear half about 4", have one of the shifter shafts pushed forward enough to get at the gear however we can't get it out. Not enough space between the housing and the drive shaft. My Dad is afraid to slide the drive shaft forward more. Can someone tell me where we should proceeed from here.