This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Timing advance

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Timing advance

Postby Slappy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:43 am

I was having some issues with my newly rebuilt H missing, so finally broke down and bought a timing light. While I had it out, I put it on my Cub. I have in the past used the "turn the distributor and look for the spark" method of timing (I've never been good at the "by ear" method). My Cub runs great and starts fast, but does pop consistantly. When I used the timing light at low idle, I found timing was close but advanced 7° or so. I reset the timing and the poping diminished (It wasn't too bad to start with, but I'm happy about having less of it now) , though it was not eliminated.

When I went to full throttle, however, the timing did not advance. Is this normal, or should I be looking for broken springs and counterweights in the distributor's timing advance mechanism? Perhaps, I'm way off base here and someone can set me straight.
A kick in the pants is still a step forward.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:03 am

Cubs have cenrtrifical advance. Something is wrong in your dist if you find you don't have any. If you look at Rudis site you will find a complete description of distributers and coils. Don't let it throw you off that they are using a different dist than a cubs. It works just the same. They explain rather well why you advance spark as you increase engine speed.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... rcuits.htm

Actually this article is must read for most all of us. I thought I had the dist & coil down pat and as I researched it found things I didn't know.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”