This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How many times have you thought a SA/100/140 over a Cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ghennessy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21034
Circle of Safety: Y

How many times have you thought a SA/100/140 over a Cub?

Postby ghennessy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:41 am

Just curious what most thought..... on how many occasions have you felt a Super A or 100/130/140 would have been better for a given task than your Cub?

I ask as I've had many opportunities over the past year or so to use the Cub (rough cutting pasture, pushing snow, 193 plow) and having had various IH Cub Cadets over the years (and even a 982), I'd never go back to that smaller platform for any 'real' work. I relish the look and feel of the pre-War designs which precludes more modern CaseIH options as well.

So while moving snow last week with the Cub, I was really wondering if folks were wanting for double the power, more weight, etc., of the slightly larger platform. If anyone has both models, please do offer your input.

I'm considering beginning a search for a Super A/100 or 140 and appreciate the replies.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: How many times have you thought a SA/100/140 over a Cub?

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 am

I agree, for many tasks the Cub is no well suited. That's why I own larger tractors, implements, and skid steers. And I frequently find out that I need something larger or a different attachment.

As far as the tractors listed in the subject line, maybe, or perhaps a different make and model of tractor. I wouldn't limit my search to the 3 models listed in the subject line.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:44 am

To answer the title question, Never.
I have Cubs and an H. I think you hit it when you mention "real work" in your post.

Whether or not the Cub is suited to any particular job really depends on how big the job is and how fast you want to do it. For instance there is a four acre field at my brothers. If I want it mowed fast I use an H with a 6' brush hog. I have done it more than once with a Cub and Woods 42, takes a little longer but does the job. I could do it with a rider or even a push mower. It just depends on how fast I want it done. Another example is snow plowing the couple hundred yard driveway. A Cub works great for that but I would NOT want to plow the seven miles of highway back to town. The Cub could do it it'd just take a while :D

So my advice is if your current jobs with the Cub are taking longer than the time you have then I would look at something bigger. (Or if you are trying to move a mountain all at once.)

RustyKnuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01073

Postby RustyKnuckles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:50 am

In terms of utility, the later Cub Cadet tractors are better. When the Cub was designed, IHC was stuck in the midset that the Cub should look like a "real" tractor. But this ended up being a handicap. If the original Cub had had ~15hp, a more conventional PTO (and maybe a front one as well), and if the implement attachments had been somewhat less clunky, it would have been a better product.

I got my Cub after looking at a Super A. That tractor, I thought, was difficult to maneuver -- would really benefit from power steering! So that's why I didn't buy it. Pricewise, not that much difference from a nice Cub to a Super A.
Jay Smith

1953 Cub, acquired fall 2013. Runs much better thanks to tuneup by Art Chester!
Next, replacement of old parts (radiator, seals, etc.) + painting.

Plus 3 JD garden tractors (425,318,140)
& two Buick Roadmaster station wagons

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:00 am

I have both cubs and 140s as well as Fords , the 140 is twice the tractor of a cub. and a 3600 Ford is even better. On the down side the 140 is about 2 times the price of a cub and a 3600 is 4 times the cost.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 am

I would not consider the SA over the cub if I had only one tractor. More than one tractor the cub is fine as a small tractor. I have used an A. But as an only tractor or a second tractor I would go bigger than a SA. I have a cub because I inherited it. The short answer is yes, I would have at times liked a bigger tractor. I can however clear my drive in about half the time using the "little" cub cadet with a blower than I can with the cub. Dad's old H with chains and extra weight on the drawbar and 7 foot blade however would be even faster. Job would be done before the engine could warm up. Vern

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:11 am

I own 2 Cubs and a SA. My large garden was real close to a road ditch and a corn field. The cubs were perfect for that application. I used my SA to pull a disc, and that was a little harder to maneuver. I really like that SA though!
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:27 am

I like the little Cub because it is so much more maneuverable than the larger tractors. The Cub is small enough that I can park a Cub or two in the corners of my garage. I have a 200 which has the same C123 engine as the 100-140. It seems gigantic after driving one of my Cubs.
Last edited by Xperimental on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:56 am

After I put an IH 1000 loader on one of my several Cubs, I decided it was really better sized for a Super A thru 140. That's how I got my FIRST 140. Now I have two 140's. Wanna buy a tractor? The barn is full! :roll:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:14 pm

I find my Cub is not suited for some jobs and that is why I have been looking for a nice 100 or 140 in my area. It has to come with a snow plow and fast hitch is the only thing that way I can still use my cub stuff I got. I have a Super M, 300, and 450 for my bigger jobs and fun seat time rides but I have not gotten the implements for those that the cub has. I have been looking for a 2 point blade for my 450 to push snow with but have not come across one close by. I just want to be able to use the 450 more, besides disking or planting.

It is all a matter of preference, and I will most likely pick my cub over most for doing jobs here and there just because of it's ease of use and versatility. I don't think anyone can go wrong with a cub or several.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Thoughts:

I got a Cub because they are cute. I like using it; it does well with a 12" plow, 5" sicklebar mower, and 1 row cultivator. It's lightweight and easy to haul.

If you have small crops where you need to cultivate slowly, or a small garden, or not a lot of storage space, a Cub is the way to go. I believe IH said it was an appropriate tractor for farms 40 acres and smaller. I would hate to know I had to plow 40 acres with a Cub, but it was a different time then.

If you want to pull two 12" bottoms, cultivate faster, have a PTO that turns the correct direction and speed, as well as pull some real tillage tools, then go with the Super A/100/130/140.

The Cub is definitely a little more maneuverable than the Super A, but not enough to be a deal breaker. It's really not that much smaller. The cub will go much slower than the Super A if you need to cultivate really small plants. I miss not having hydraulics for both the front and back cultivators on the Cub.

Super A has 4 forward speeds with 3 working gears, Cub only has 3--only two working gears. (Although calling 3rd a "road gear" may be debatable!)

I hooked the sicklebar mower up to my Super A (I have an A-22 and a Cub-22) this summer, and never attached the Cub mower. I didn't notice any difference in maneuverability, and it felt good to have more tractor under me.

I have always thought the 113 engine was easier to work on and less finicky than the cub engine.

I don't see as many Super A's with broken engine block ears. (In fact I have only ever seen one. It's mine, and a white demo...how lucky am I? :? )

I grew up around a Super A. I love 'em. I own 4 and I would love to add more, just for fun. If I could only own one old tractor, it would most likely be a Super A/100/130/140, simply because it is more versatile than the Cub. Fortunately, only my time and $$$$ restricts me to the number of tractors I can own! :thumbsup:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

ghennessy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21034

Postby ghennessy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Wow, this is such a great forum! Thanks to all who have replied so far!

In reference to the Cub Cadet- the 982 had a Haban 54" blade and I couldn't get enough weight on the machine to move snow very well. It got pushed around by the blade, where the Cub takes the same in stride, and is a much stiffer tractor over the Cadet's flexy stamped steel frame. I also prefer the gear drive over the 982's hydro. We have some slopes on the property and it's "constant speed correction" no matter how good the mechanical state of the trunnion. The 982's Haban 60" deck cut better than the Woods 59, though I couldn't lift it high enough for the pasture cutting height I wanted to do with it. It's at least two times more expensive to rebuild the Onan B48 or re-power with a 25+ hp V-twin, than the grand or so it takes for a C-60 overhaul.

Regarding wanting a Super A, 140 et al, sure- I might be in the market so PM me about what you may potentially have for sale! (I hope that statement is within the rules given the post's context). My inclination towards the larger machine wouldn't be time reduction, it would be just having a more substantial platform, while keeping with the older machines, which I enjoy. Space and tight maneuverability isn't in the equation. I just think they were built to last, perhaps longer than ever intended- and built when American craftsman pride was a force to be reckoned with.

If I wanted to so some serious work, I'd have to think of something newer and more capable- point well taken. IH may have advertised the Cub for up to 40 acres, though it was a simpler time and there were more hours in the day back then!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:55 pm

ghennessy wrote:IH may have advertised the Cub for up to 40 acres, though it was a simpler time and there were more hours in the day back then!

We also have to remember that the Cub was designed to replace a mule, not a three point, multi-bottom plow tractor. Would you rather walk behind a mule or sit on a Cub to plow 40 acres? :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
ghennessy wrote:IH may have advertised the Cub for up to 40 acres, though it was a simpler time and there were more hours in the day back then!

We also have to remember that the Cub was designed to replace a mule, not a three point, multi-bottom plow tractor. Would you rather walk behind a mule or sit on a Cub to plow 40 acres? :D

It wasn't until I talked to someone who lived it that I really understood that statement. It took a Cub one trip to do what it took three trips with a mule when it came to cultivating: You had to work one side of the row, then the other one, then split the middle. A Cub did all 3 in one pass!

In my case, my granddaddy replaced a mule with his Super A. Can't help but wonder if some Cub owners were "jealous" but back then there was still so much pent up demand from WWII that it was pretty much "take what you can get."

When it comes to mowing, I wouldn't even want anything but say a Cub Cadet. IMO a Cub is too big/bulky for mowing a lawn. On the other hand, when I see people actually plowing with a Cadet, my mind is blown.....sort of reminds me of that old saying about "eating poop with a knitting needle!"

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:33 pm

When IH said 40 acre farm I don't think they meant 40 acres in cultivation. I'm guessing that acreage included pasture, wood lot, out buildings, pond/stream, and the home and barn(s). I doubt many cubs were responsible for working a total of 40 acres.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”