This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission Countershaft Inspection?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Transmission Countershaft Inspection?

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 pm

I plan to replace the front transmission Seal while my '55, Ben, is apart, and wonder if there is anything to check regarding the countershaft? I did pull the cover off and will replace the gasket, just to make sure there was no leakage there. But is there anything else I should check? A couple observations I made:
1. When I pulled the cap, the PO had used a cotter pin that was too small and was almost completely fallen through the hole.
2. The shaft nut was very loose, yet screwed down far enough toward the rear that the hole in the shaft for the cotter pin was almost completely away from the castellated nut.
3. Should I be able to PUSH the shaft toward the rear?
4. Should I be able to pull the front bearing out of the bearing retainer, or should it have been PRESSED in tight? I did NOT pull it out, but it was loose and could have been pulled forward. (I would like to inspect the bearing)

Thanks!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: Transmission Countershaft Inspection?

Postby Clark Thompson » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 pm

it all depends on how the counter shaft was set up to the ring gear. to get to the nut you had to remove the cap this will allow the adjustment to become loose. I would suggest that you leave the cap off and install the bolts to hold everything tight. the shaft should not move in the bearing and also the bearing should not move in the retainer. If the nut was loose that is a indication to me that someone didnt set the proper load on the counter shaft. This can also cause ring and pinion to be too tight or too loose. when everything is set on properly on the counter shaft the nut should be tight. If the countershaft is not set correctly it may cause missalignment of the sliding gears causing excessive transmission noise. The same hold true for the ring and pinion.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”