This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bottom Plow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill68
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 85242
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Bottom Plow

Postby Bill68 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:57 am

I have a 48 cub and recently came into possession of a single blade Craftsmen Bottom plow. The plow has a U shaped mount about 3-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches. Any ideas on how to properly connect it to the drawbar?
'48 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Bottom Plow

Postby pickerandsinger » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:15 am

A picture would be of help....Just mounting it wouldn't seem to be much of a problem if you can prefab a bracket of sorts..But there is more to it than just mounting it.....Bill Hudson is out resident plowing, implement expert...He'll probably see this and answer...Others will chime in also I'm sure, but a picture says a 1000 words so to speak...Welcome to the forum BTW...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:49 am

It sounds like what you have is a sleeve hitch meant for a garden tractor. I don't have an answer for hooking it to a cub. Depth control would be the big question for me. Vern

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:08 am

I agree with VW. The plow you have is for a sleeve hitch on a garden tractor. My guess is the easiest fix would be to sell the plow you have and buy the correct plow for the Cub. Price wise it's probably a wash. You might even be able to sell your existing plow for more than a Cub plow will cost you.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 am

Yeah, what Ricky said. Even properly mounted the plow is too small for a Cub. If you were using it and hooked it on something, a Cub could bend it and likely ruin it.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Ricky and Jim have you covered.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Bill68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill68 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:11 am

I was born on a farm, but only lived there for 6 months so I am not familiar with terms like sleeve hitch. Is that for a plow with a little hook on the end? I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. I couldn't get the camera to work today. Some background which the pictures will show. The cub has a mid blade which will interfere with turning the drawbar forward. It also has no hydraulics/PTO. I use a rear facing winch for the back and a middle winch for the blade. I believe my only options are to hard mount the plow to the rear facing drawbar. I assume I need a mount that will allow the plow to swivel up and down freely but not sideways. Will an actual cub plow be any easier to mount and meet these criteria? Also, I live in Arizona so cub plows are not easy to come by. The plow will be used for a garden and other incidentals. There will be no plowing of multiple acre fields.

Please feel free to correct my assumptions as necessary.
'48 Farmall Cub

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 am

A sleeve hitch connects directly to a garden tractor. There are several implements that can attach this way, it is not plow specific. A plow that attaches with a "little hook" on the end of the tongue is a trailer plow. The hook is connected thru a stiff compression spring to the plow. This is so that the plow can break loose (unhitch) from the tractor if it strikes something. The compression of the spring allows the hook to swing upward. Very intertesting indeed if you happen to be hanging on the trip rope at the time. The hook is connected to the tractor by the use of a twisted clevis. I do not know of a trailer plow ever built for a cub. It would be very easy to hook one however remember that the cub plow has a 12 inch bottom. Most trailer plows will be larger.

A cub plow mounts to a forward facing drawbar. A hand lift is available for a cub that will allow you to connect any implement. How are the winches powered? I would like a 6 volt winch but don't know of any and don't want to convert to 12 volt. Vern

Edit: I too believe the easiest and best is to get a cub plow. One word of caution if you are not familiar with a cub plow. Be sure the depth control lever is with it. Without it the plow is worth about as much as scrap iron. This is a lever about three feet long with an eye bolt attached. This hooks to the reversed drawbar and the right final. Searchtempest could find only one plow within 500 miles of you and this lever is not pictured with it.

Bill68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill68 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks for your info. My tractor has been converted to 12 volts, so both winches are 12 volt. They work great and neither has ever leaked hyd fluid. I am going to try and make an adapter to hook this Craftsman plow to a real facing draw bar. I'll use small bolts (1/4 or 3/16) and hopefully they will break before the plow. Thanks again for your help.
'48 Farmall Cub

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Bill. here is how a Cub plow is properly mounted.

Photos from TM Tractor Parts

I'm afraid that mounting anything less would more than likely be a futile attempt at best and may accomplish little more than raising your blood pressure. With out the proper depth control your plow will do little more than skim across the top of the ground. Of Course finding one in Arizona may be quite a task as you already know. Using the 1/4 or 3/16 bolts will probably lead to constant breakage of the bolts since they are so light weight.

Good luck with your endeavor and please keep us posted on how it works.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey hopefully it will work out for you...Barnyards pictures and comments reiterate my comments, there is more to it than just mounting it..With a properly mounted plow is still has to be set correctly.( mine is on a working tractor also)...but." Necessity is the mother of invention"...Good luck...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Bill68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill68 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:48 pm

I bolted the plow loosely to the drawbar and tried it. I drew a line with it about 3 inches deep. After going in circles half a dozen times, I may have had a furrow 4 inches deep. I am going to raise the hitch several inches above the drawbar and try again.
'48 Farmall Cub

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:10 pm

In the How To section look under implements...You'll find some information you can probably use in your confibius you are making... :D
In Memory of 58,286

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:33 am

Bill68 wrote:I bolted the plow loosely to the drawbar and tried it. I drew a line with it about 3 inches deep. After going in circles half a dozen times, I may have had a furrow 4 inches deep. I am going to raise the hitch several inches above the drawbar and try again.

I think you are headed in the wrong direction. The plow point must be pointed down to go down. Keep us posted. Vern

EDIT: Think of the height of the hitch on a garden tractor. The condition of the point will also affect the depth with a worn point difficult to get down.
Last edited by v w on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 am

Bill68 wrote:I bolted the plow loosely to the drawbar and tried it. I drew a line with it about 3 inches deep. After going in circles half a dozen times, I may have had a furrow 4 inches deep. I am going to raise the hitch several inches above the drawbar and try again.

There are bolts in the sides of the drawbar you can move to different positions to swing it up or down. Put it in the lowest position and try again. You can also bolt your little plow to the bottom of the drawbar to lower it a bit more. Also you don’t plow in circles; it is not like a set of discs that you drag around. You go in a straight line then pick it up at the end of the row. You should throw all the dirt to the same side of the garden.

Keep us posted. :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”