This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Release bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Vice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44001

Release bearing

Postby Vice » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Are the cub's clutch release bearing rotational such as in the auto type ? The original one doesn't seem to rotate, and the replacement doesn't either ! Help ? Vic

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Release bearing

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:07 pm

That is normal. The carbon block of the release bearing simply rubs against the fingers. Make sure the bearing gets greased on schedule. If your new one is not thoroughly oil soaked, soak it in thin oil for a day or two before installing it.

Vice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vice » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:23 am

What is the purpose of the grease fitting ?

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52 am

Welcome to the Cub forum, Vice! There is a cavity behind the carbon block, that is filled with grease from the zerk fitting. The oils in the grease separate from the solids and slowly saturate the carbon block, keeping an oil film on the surface of the block. Some of the better bearings come pre-lubed, others, dry. Do as Jim mentioned, soaking with oil and also coat the surface of the block with grease, before installation. If the bearing is installed dry and one depends on the grease in the cavity to immediately lube the bearing, it will likely suffer an early failure.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 am

As an addition to Gary's statement, make that a very thin layer of grease on the surface. If you put a thick layer of grease on it the fingers immediately sling it off the sides and it makes an awful mess inside the bell housing. It doesn't hurt anything, but your hands will sure get dirt if you ever have to do anything in that housing again. Only one guess as to how I learned that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Vice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vice » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks for clearing that up ! Question # 2 is the Magneto on my 1949 has a unusual gear driven rotor. when did this change and is there parts for such a set-up ?

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:10 am

That's the rotor for the mag. Available, but pricey . Non geared, are for distributors.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/294fp.htm

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:08 am

That changed when they wnet to distributors instead of magnetos, some time in the 50s if i remember correctly, but I do not remember just when.

Vice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vice » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks, is one better than the other ? Should I be thinking of converting to a distributor ?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Vice wrote:Thanks, is one better than the other ? Should I be thinking of converting to a distributor ?
Short answer. No. Both systems work great.

If the magneto is working, keep it. Also magnetos can be repaired, which is usually quite a bit cheaper than converting to a distributor type ignition system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Vice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vice » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks for your help, Just delivered the Cub to my niece for use on her small farm ( realized after / during the delivery she has not driven stick shift, but I am sure she will figure it out quickly ! ) unit has sickle bar attached to help with the field growth !! Again thanks to all that helped me through this task !

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Vice wrote: unit has sickle bar attached to help with the field growth !!

Vice, If your niece has pets or kids make sure they are inside when using the sickle mower. If one comes up from behind and unexpectantly runs in front of the mower it's too late. A lot of pets have lost legs even with the "most careful" operator.

Vice wrote:realized after / during the delivery she has not driven stick shift

Shifting won't be a problem. It is not like a car where you start in low and shift up through the gears. You just put it in the gear you want and go.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Vice wrote: unit has sickle bar attached to help with the field growth !!

Vice, If your niece has pets or kids make sure they are inside when using the sickle mower. If one comes up from behind and unexpectantly runs in front of the mower it's too late. A lot of pets have lost legs even with the "most careful" operator............
Don't know how much sickle mower experience you have but this can't be stressed enough. The other sickle mower caution is to watch where you put your fingers when you lift or lower the bar for transport. The knife can slide down the bar at any time taking misplaced fingers with it. Best practice is to lift with your palms flat and fingers sticking straight out. If you have to grip the bar with your fingers, do it along the back edge of the bar. NEVER put your fingers between the rock gaurds!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:55 pm

:Dito: :Dito: :Dito: To Scrivet's statement. I needed to fold the 7' sickle on our H one time, and in this area there are frequently scars and gouges in the bottom of the guards due to rocks, so I normally wore gloves. This time I just used the gloves for pads between my hands and the bottom of the sickle. When I got it raised and secured I noticed a finger was missing from one glove. Apparently it had flopped between a guard and section as it slid down.

Return to “Farmall Cub”