Rear Axle Overhaul

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 am

Hey all,

I started to take my rear axle apart, going to redo gaskets and seals. Looking for a manual or some links for help on this or any suggestions you may have.
It's a 1948 Cub.

:||):

Re: Rear Axle Overhaul

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:35 am

The parts manuals are here: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html

The How To Forum has some info located here:

viewforum.php?f=141

and

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=48141

Hope this helps, but encourage you to take some time and explore the sight (lots of good stuff on here). Be sure to properly wedge the front end of the tractor and support the rear end. Safety first.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Does anyone have dimensions of the wedges and pictures? That would be quite useful as I'm fixin' to do the same myself.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:11 pm

There aren't any special dimensions for the wedges. I use square stair bannister stock. It's about 1 1/2" square. Take a piece about 6" long and cut it diagonally into two pieces. You'll want to tap them in tight and either run a bungee cord around them or periodically check to make sure they aren't wiggling out of position.

Bob

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:03 pm

I secured my wedges on each side with a radiator hose clamp over the axle tube. Works very well.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Scrap 2" x 4" around 6 inches long. Cut diagonally on flat face. Again, dimensions not critical. Worst thing I have had to do is cut off the thin end of the wedge because I made them to long.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:42 am

4x4 has worked fine.