This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Whitch Alternator?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Re: Whitch Alternator?

Postby artc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 pm

the diode blocks from the alternator, and the batt term goes to +12 of course. threaded rod and an appropriate belt will do it.

but let me stress - both setups are about the same amount of work and money. it really is an owners choice
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:13 pm

tmays wrote:
RustyKnuckles wrote:Well, I thought I was getting un-confused, but the later postings here are re-confusing me.

Is the Napa # is 2134011SW alternator 1-wire or 3-wire? Does it fit under the Cub hood or not?

Glad to see I'm not the only one! :-)

This whole thread is just another reason I stay 6V. IH figured out everything I need 60 years ago and it's right there in the book so I don't get confused. :D

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 am

I guess my only question:
Is this some kind of Halloween joke?
"Whitch Alternator?"
Which witch flies on a pole ( poll ) and not a broom? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 am

Here's a good discussion board thread on another tractor site about why a fuse is needed in your alternator wiring.
Gerry

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm

OK... after doing some searching, I have finally found a wiring diagram which shows the alternator in the system. The diagram that I have is for a cub with a coil and distributor and not a mag tractor. I know that the mag is a separate system from the power circuit... got that part down pat. My question is this... is it OK to have the wire going to the alternator unswitched and under 12V power at all times or does this cause a drain on the battery? Since there is no power to back-feed into the ignition system, I am assuming that I do not need a blocking diode or a small dash light in the circuit, correct?

Merlin is going to get the conversion because I am quite simply tired of messing with the 6 v system any longer. I just want to do it right.

Thanks!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

RustyKnuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01073

Postby RustyKnuckles » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Hengy -
WHICH wiring diagram are you referring to? Do you have a link?
Jay Smith

1953 Cub, acquired fall 2013. Runs much better thanks to tuneup by Art Chester!
Next, replacement of old parts (radiator, seals, etc.) + painting.

Plus 3 JD garden tractors (425,318,140)
& two Buick Roadmaster station wagons

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Hengy wrote:is it OK to have the wire going to the alternator unswitched and under 12V power at all times or does this cause a drain on the battery?
Mike. There is a single digit milliamp drain on the battery with the single wire delco clone and the engine not running. The milliamp drain is insignificant - it would take years to drain a fully charged battery at that rate.

Since there is no power to back-feed into the ignition system, I am assuming that I do not need a blocking diode or a small dash light in the circuit, correct?
The single wire alternators can be wired from alternator to amp gauge to starter terminal. The ignition can be tapped any where into the electrical system. So basically, you will not need the diode or dash light with the single wire alternator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm

I am not a speller, would still be in the 5th grade if it was not for the girl in front of me :D , but I do not use a fuse in line with the alternator and there are 100s of tractors out there that I have done or helped do without any problems.
If you feel the need to use a fuse by all means use one . I was wondering when someone would catch the witch:D .
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Since the spelling was neither witch or which, I kinda figured it was phonetic spelling from folks who live in the Appalachian mountain region. Weuns folks who live in the Ozarks would have said something like "Watcha U folks ah usin for alternators?'
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:21 pm

For automatic exciting of alternators on tractors with magnetos, some add a switch into the engine block that closes as the oil pressure rises and sends voltage to the exciter terminal. The oil pressure drops and the switch opens when the engine stops. The exciter part of the alternator will drain the battery within a day or so. I have not done a test to determine the exact time involved.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Bus Driver wrote:For automatic exciting of alternators on tractors with magnetos, some add a switch into the engine block that closes as the oil pressure rises and sends voltage to the exciter terminal. The oil pressure drops and the switch opens when the engine stops. The exciter part of the alternator will drain the battery within a day or so. I have not done a test to determine the exact time involved.

The one wire is self exciting needs no external exciter
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Re: Which Alternator?

Postby Gerry Powell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 pm

A little history from the car side, applies to tractors as well:
Before about 1980, there were no fusible links on alternators, but after that it is common practice to have a fusible link between the alternator and battery to prevent fires and wire burning up in the unlikely event that someone installs a battery with the polarity reversed or if a diode in the alternator fails.
Another bit of info on alternators:
Alternators are NOT designed to be battery chargers! They have no regulation for current flow and will pump out current up to their rated output into a battery that will take it.

This diagram is from Alternator 101
Note the fuse, common practice. This diagram is for Delco 10 series but fusing equally applies to all brands used.
chargcircuit2.gif
chargcircuit2.gif (24.39 KiB) Viewed 305 times

I totally agree and strongly encourage this in conversions to alternators. Hopefully your tractor will never blow the fuse, but if you ever have a fault you'll be saved from meltdown.
Gerry

RustyKnuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01073

Postby RustyKnuckles » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Boy, this topic is certainly going on and on !

But I'm "losing the bubble" as they say in the Navy....

I still have ONE QUESTION: Can someone PLEASE point me to a wiring diagram for a 12v conversion using a 1-wire alternator?

I am looking at buying this alternator:
http://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Wire-U ... alternator

which really has only one connection terminal. Does a one-wire alternator need a diode? (I don't think so). Where/how is the ignition switch connected? (that's my basic question here) The 3-wire alternator wiring diagrams leave me with just enough confusion that I don't want to extrapolate to the 1-wire case without some confirmation.

Thanks!
Jay Smith

1953 Cub, acquired fall 2013. Runs much better thanks to tuneup by Art Chester!
Next, replacement of old parts (radiator, seals, etc.) + painting.

Plus 3 JD garden tractors (425,318,140)
& two Buick Roadmaster station wagons

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:29 am

You point is well taken on the in-line fuse. Some may add it.....some may not. However, it does appear that the Mopar guys are the first to wise up on this. In the diagram above, "chargcircuit. gif" is on it's 3 modification. Chargcircuit2 is from the Canadian Mopar guy. I think Chargcircuit1 is still in use on the Powerstroke nation site........and us poor Chevy guys on the Trifive site are using the original gif....(doesn't show fuse) :shock: .......all soon to be updated I'm sure. My '56 is in my shop now for a rear seal replacement, which means a split. I'm going to do a couple of mods, so maybe i drop an inline fuse in there. Maybe my next converstion i'll use one of those alternators that are housed in a generator casing. Paint it red....who'll ever guess? 8)
Again, thanks for bring this to everyone's attention. As to the wiring diagrams, Bob Melvile had quite a selection of them specfic to the Farmalls. I believe you can Google him and find them. This topic has surfaced numerous times over the years with lots of good "how to" knowledge inthe threads. If I have time tomorrow, maybe I'll search and try to find some of the more informative ones. The search function is there for everyone though. :coffee:

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:56 am

Harold R wrote: Maybe my next converstion i'll use one of those alternators that are housed in a generator casing. Paint it red....who'll ever guess?

Oh no, Now it'll be a dreaded Paint Thread....Valspar or Majic ?????? :lol: :lol:
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Farmall Cub”