This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission Spline Replacement

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AGrinthal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07848
eBay ID: thatfarmallguy
Tractors Owned: 1943 Farmall M
1952 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Super A
1966 Farmall 140

Transmission Spline Replacement

Postby AGrinthal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:51 pm

I bent my transmission spline during my strip down. My baby is all painted and ready to be reassembled. I purchased a new Spline and bearing retainer seal from TM tractor. According to what I read all you need to do to remove the spline is remove the three bolts holding the bearing retainer seal and then pull the spline out. Well...

That's not working. Sooo... what does one do to remove the old spline and stick the new one in? I have searched around for thread detailing the procedure.. but can't fine one. I must be missing something because that spline won't come out. DO I have to remove the shifting forks? Any help/direction would be appreciated.

thanks
Andy
Andover, NJ

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission Spline Replacement

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:18 am

The front bearing will be a tight fit in the transmission case and will come out with the shaft. You'll most likely need to tap it out from the rear. If you haven't already done so, you will need to remove the PTO assy.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:20 am

Normally they just slide out. It is possible a previous owner put some type of Loctite or bearing retainer on the bearign which is making it difficult to remove. The bearing at the retainer on front of transmission will come out with the shaft. as Gary stated, you may need to reach in through the pto opening and persuade it some if it is stuck.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:24 am

Not that you are yet at this stage, but as you remove the shaft, each upper gear will fall off and out of position. When installing the new one, each gear must be aligned through the top of the transmission so the shaft will go into it. Be sure to install the retainer the right way. If backwards, it will allow the shaft to move forward enough to cause PTO problems.

Return to “Farmall Cub”