This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter needs some attention. DIY ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Flinttim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47274

Starter needs some attention. DIY ?

Postby Flinttim » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Well bought a new battery and cables for the Cub. Nothing. Took the switch off starter and tested it. and it's OK. Tried a direct jump from the battery to the copper lug on the starter and still nothing. Took it off the tractor and took the band off. The brushed are down to the nub. Worn down to the mounting tabs. At least it's a start on the road to repair. BUT, we have only a couple guys left in town here who know much at all about the old things, and I will contact them tomorrow. But if they can't , won't or whatever , is this a DYI project ? I've seen some kits for sale with new brushes man the like but just wondering how hard it would be to do .

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter needs some attention. DIY ?

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:09 pm

you can DIY if you have a fair amount mechanical ability , not a difficult job
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Almost as easy as changing the oil and filter. If the brushes are down like you say, you certainly need brushes, which is an easy fix. Let us hope that there was not too much arcing on the commutator before the generator shut down. Not that big a deal either, except that the commutator may need to be turned on a shop lathe. The generator is built like a military tank and very forgiving, so chances are a little dressing up of the commutator and new brushes is all that you will need.

Flinttim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Flinttim » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Commutator looks good, no damage seen. I've rebuilt carbs,rear ends , etc but just never got into the electrical motor stuff. I'll check the old guys ( I say "old", they are not much older than me,LOL) first and if that does not pan out,I'll give it a go.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:51 pm

most any auto elec shop should have the brushes.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Flinttim wrote:Well bought a new battery and cables for the Cub.....
Welcome to the forum. Just a thought on the new battery cable. If your cub is 6V the cables need to be a little heavier than standard 12V car cables that you can get almost anywhere. I think those are 4AWG. You should have 2AWG or even 0AWG cables on a 6V system. The smaller (4AWG) cable can work on 6V, but not well, and will eventually cause you starting problems.

Flinttim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Flinttim » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:39 am

Yep, I'm pretty well versed on 6 volt systems. Just finished a body off restoration on a 1950 Crosley which included a complete rewire of it's 6 volt pos gr system. When I done the Crosley I bought a universal 6 volt harness from Rebel Wire. Being universal it was made to work on the biggest 6 volt car ever made. I think I have enough heavy gauge wire left from it to rewire a couple Cubs. We have a shop here that makes up cables to your specs.

Return to “Farmall Cub”