This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

generator issues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: generator issues

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

ground the F term, but if you run it to long that way it can damage the generator. With out the battery for a load they can go up to 40 volts or more.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby challenger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:38 pm

As John said, you will not get a generator output until you ground the field to tractor. You can check the generator with the wires off as follows. I recommend that you repolarize the generator before this test by briefly touching the armature (A) terminal with a jumper from a battery lead. Then conduct the test by preferably using an analog rather than a digital multimeter. Connect the black terminal of the meter set to test voltage to the armature (A) terminal and the red end to ground on the tractor. You should observe a very low (maybe half volt or so) residual charge on the voltmeter indicating that the armature is polarized. Take a jumper wire and connnect it from the field (F) terminal to ground. Now start the tractor at the lowest idle and gradually increase RPM while watching the voltmeter. Volts should rise. There is no need to let the voltage go much over 8 volts since doing so for any length of time could overheat and damage your generator. If your generator responds, it is working fine.

otherhalf
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45862

Postby otherhalf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:09 am

I think I will take my battery over and have it tested then have my generator tested. I will get a new voltage reg. at Napa. I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks, Bill

otherhalf
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45862

Postby otherhalf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 am

Napa checked battery(Advance Auto wouldn't check it), battery bad. I ordered a voltage regulater, will be here Tuesday. I will let you know how that works out. I ran the motor test again per your instructions, gen. ran both ways.Thanks for all the help, Bill

Return to “Farmall Cub”