Snagged a Hub City model 22

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Found a Hub City model 22 today.
It does not have the 31/32" 10 spine female shaft input, and its not the 2.53 ratio, it is 2.1. That means with a little bit of help from an adapter kit I'll have it running just like a song. I'll buy the parts one piece at a time, it will cost me quite a dime, but I'll have the only one there is around. I will make a bracket mount for it and let you know how it turns out. Not a ideal find but, if you gotta have one... Part of being a Cubber is making things work, so lets see if it does or not.

I paid $250 cash. Comments on the price vs buying the all the adapters? Recently see any for sale out there? How much?

Song by?...

Re: Snagged a Hub City model 22

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 pm

saw this on e bay but I had no use for it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271286698568?ss ... 1438.l2649

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Went for $257?? And it had the round PTO plate mount. Nice find for the guy that bought it.
Looks like I fell in to a burning ring of fire maybe? Thanks Boss.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 pm

I saw that one on ebay too. I remembered hearing they were rare, so i was watching it. guess I wasn't the only one, the price sure went up quick.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:58 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/International-C ... true&rt=nc

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:11 am

Those are some really great prices. Guess I overpaid for mine. :oops:

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:22 am

Those are not normal prices... not at all. In fact, if I had seen HC-22's for a Cub at that price, I would have become the new owner :!: The normal prices usually are around $500.00 to $700.00 which makes the 22's a major purchase. Right up there with Howard DeSpeeders.

I had looked at a lot of other Hub City-22's over the last year or so .. trying to learn the difference to make buying easier. I learned a bit, but the buying still can be confusing. If you were happy with your purchase and the kits will do what you need .. then you got a good deal. Especially in an area where these are so rare :!: :D

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 am

I'm not sure, but, it looks like someone just listed one of these units in the Classified Ads section on this site.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:40 am

Ind61: $99 ! WOW! Somebody sure scored big on that one? Thanks for the post, it gave me a close up on the bracket I need to make.
Rudi: Yeah that's what I thought, that they can go for the price of a rough rusted Cub. I will bring this post back to the top when I get all the parts, with pics of course.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:56 am

Song by Johnny Cash.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Redcub wrote:Ind61: $99 ! WOW! Somebody sure scored big on that one?

Yea it didn't last long, had a buy-it now price at 99.00. I was checking the feedback on the seller and before I knew it, it was sold. I had no use for it other than to resell and make a little money. I don't even know why someone would want one other than to say they did?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:45 am

Found out a new model 22 is about $1150 retail, plus shipping, 3 adapters, and the need for a mount bracket. So maybe I did ok.

Papa's Cub: No, that is a Howard CD-6 Despeeder "creep gear" ( sort of ). It mounts between the left axle tube and the final drive to cut down the speed by about 1/2 in all gears. Fairly rare and should fetch $700-1000. Make sure it has the plate with the shaft seal, they tend to get left behind on the tractor with all the grease hiding it. I hope a member buys it. Makes tilling a breeze, I am told, just like a modern tractor with a factory creep gear. The Howard L-28 tiller would be a fine addition to your Cub if you can land one, and would not need the HC-22 because it was special made just for the Cub. The Howard S-28 was made for the A, B, and 100. That unit would need a Hub City model 22, Prewitt, or homemade PTO reducer/reverser set up. Members here say that the Cub is a little to fast in first gear to do a good job tilling with certain soils and the CD-6 fixes that and gives bragging rights galore. ( insert Samson pic here from Gator809 )

Indy61: Why own one? To run a modern piece of equipment that requires 540 RPM in a Clockwise direction. Sure,.. you will need a 3 point conversion, or change the implement to IH Fast Hitch, or draw bar, and your wallet, plus some tools, and BBQ ribs :beer: , etc. And sadly, as we all know, the Cub PTO stops when you push in the clutch. ( very sad indeed, but I love the Cub) Or, a Cub owner can buy equipment that is made just for Cubs ( woods mower, IH sickle bar cutter, fail mower, etc ) that are set up for the 1800 RPM, C-CW rotation PTO.

All: Owning one is just a way to expand the usefulness of a tractor that many people say to me "why the heck would you own a tractor like a Cub? They are worthless junk"
You can read more here about the topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61884
I am hoping that having one opens up a whole new realm of junk I can haul home and say "yup, I can make that work with a Cub"

Yes Rudi, I now have 2 of them. Shhhh. Don't tell her. :lol:
Will most likely sell one here when I get all parts together so it is work ready. Don't want new owner to hunt for parts.