This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Cub brake noise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary L.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17252
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

1949 Cub brake noise

Postby Gary L. » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Hello all and thanks in advance for any advice, my brakes are working ok except make a rather loud scuffing noise when applied, they look ok through the slot in the axle housing for alignment. not sure whats going on...
Gary L.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Re: 1949 Cub brake noise

Postby gusbratz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:34 am

There are a couple different kinds, one is a long band. The other is 2 shoes. They both grip the drum when pressure is applied. The 2 shoe design is better and allows for more equal wear of the lining all the way around. The older band type tends to wear out in one spot. Part of it may look good and some other parts may be gone causing metal on metal contact. Or maybe your drum is just rusty from sitting a lot and will quiet down as you use and work it. If it works well I wouldn't get too stressed about it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1949 Cub brake noise

Postby Eugene » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:48 am

Suggest tearing down and inspecting. Determine cause of noise. Brake band to drum, metal to metal contact, not good. Can score brake drum.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”