Rusted 28a disc harrow

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 pm

So I've been trying to get my 28a disc harrow up and running here. And have a couple questions. My gang support rods on both sides are snapped off. Are they that crucial to running the disc? And are they causing my gangs to rub together like this? Is that rubbing normal? I'll probably just use a cutoff wheel to get whats left of them off. Then use I-bolts where they attatch and chain in the middle to use as a replacement...should adjust by tightening the nut on one of the I-bolts. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rusted 28a disc harrow

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Most of the disks I have dealt with over the years rub at the center, that is why they have the large cast iron pieces in the center. The rods are to hold the outer ends down so they will cut, without them the ens will tend to raise up and not dig in to the soil.

Re: Rusted 28a disc harrow

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:00 am

Thanks! Looks like I'll have to put my jerry rig in reverse then!

Re: Rusted 28a disc harrow

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 pm

I failed to say, those rods push on the outer ends when digging, and pull when lifted, though I think you figured that out. So the chain will not be a good idea unless you weld the links. :oops:

Re: Rusted 28a disc harrow

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Ok here's what I ended up with. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. A walk through the local Rural King had me thinking that a 14" long 5/8's bolt hook would be a perfect replacement for a gang support rod. The only problem is they only make them in 12"...and I didn't find any 14's on the web either. So what I came up with was to use an 8" bolt hook, a coupler, and a section of 5/8's threaded rod lopped off with about 3 inches hanging out the end. The coupler can also be turned to extend out or pull in as needed. I believe the original support rod is 3/4" but 5/8's felt plenty sturdy to me for what it does. Here's a few pics. Finally got the disc up and running this past weekend. Turned my garden over with a 193 moldboard (which I had also never used before), switched it out in less than 10 minuets for the disc harrow, and then chopped it all up nice and fine. Great feeling! My Cub, "Condoleezza" never even broke a sweat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.